White rings inside of shell and shell imperfections

XiaoMomo

Location (City and/or State)
Berkeley
Hi everybody, I’m a new tortoise owner and this is my first post here. My baby sulcata is about 3 months old (81g), and I’m worried about its shell. I’ve shared pictures here circling some of the things I’m worried about. Is any of this concerning to you? Can I do anything to take better care of my tortoise? Thank you so much for your help!

39182C7A-C748-408D-8B9C-E34BD6D9E8F7.jpeg2BD1D0A4-5EEA-460C-BA3E-2D0A4259B445.jpeg48F24A96-552E-4F4C-89A8-FA0B58878B4B.jpeg89E50B3C-F31A-4C55-BBF7-C3E406B51B67.jpeg

Attachments

• 47543733-F497-4BCD-951A-D0AC13E55268.jpeg
    47543733-F497-4BCD-951A-D0AC13E55268.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
Just some normal growth..
you might want to check out other threads (white squiggly lines). could also be hard water stains. tom usually recommends spraying the shell with rainwater daily.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi, and welcome to TFO!

I'm not an expert, but I'll tell you what I think.

Pic #1: That looks like normal growth to me, but what kind of basking light are you using? Is it a spot basking bulb? Or a flood bulb? Or a merc vapor bulb?

Pic #2: I think you are showing the creases and "lumpy" areas here. It takes time for a baby's plastron to straighten out and harden. They really are squished into their egg. I don't think it's anything to worry about, and I think with time it will straighten.

Pic #3: I'm really not sure what you're highlighting here. The circled scutes look the same as the uncircled. In case I just can't see them, and you may be seeing tiny white squiggly lines inside the scute, read this. Again, nothing to be concerned about.

Pic #4: I think you're showing the pink lines, one running lengthwise, and 3 side-to-side. That is normal blood supply going to the new growth. Pink under a large portion of the plastron is illness, but this is completely normal.

We have lots of resources for reading in case you haven't seen them. This is our updated care sheet for sullies. Read it over, and come back with any questions you may have.

I'll tag a member who can chime in on your baby's shell. He'll know if I missed anything.
@Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everybody, I’m a new tortoise owner and this is my first post here. My baby sulcata is about 3 months old (81g), and I’m worried about its shell. I’ve shared pictures here circling some of the things I’m worried about. Is any of this concerning to you? Can I do anything to take better care of my tortoise? Thank you so much for your help!
All the pics look like pretty normal stuff. I don't see anything to be concerned about.

There is no way for us to know if you can take better care of your tortoise because we don't know what you are doing now. I think everyone, including me, can take "better" care of their tortoise in some way or other. If you are following the info in the case sheet that Karen linked for you, that is the "best" way to care for your baby. Check it out, and come back with all your questions.

XiaoMomo

Berkeley
Hi, and welcome to TFO!

Pic #1: That looks like normal growth to me, but what kind of basking light are you using? Is it a spot basking bulb? Or a flood bulb? Or a merc vapor bulb?

Pic #2: I think you are showing the creases and "lumpy" areas here. It takes time for a baby's plastron to straighten out and harden. They really are squished into their egg. I don't think it's anything to worry about, and I think with time it will straighten.

Pic #3: I'm really not sure what you're highlighting here. The circled scutes look the same as the uncircled. In case I just can't see them, and you may be seeing tiny white squiggly lines inside the scute, read this. Again, nothing to be concerned about.

Pic #4: I think you're showing the pink lines, one running lengthwise, and 3 side-to-side. That is normal blood supply going to the new growth. Pink under a large portion of the plastron is illness, but this is completely normal.

We have lots of resources for reading in case you haven't seen them. This is our updated care sheet for sullies. Read it over, and come back with any questions you may have.

I'll tag a member who can chime in on your baby's shell. He'll know if I missed anything.
@Tom
Hi, and welcome to TFO!

@Tom

Thank you so much for the long reply and all of your help! I’m very glad most of it seems normal.

This is the basking lamp I am using: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KLZCDQH/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

And I have a 100W UVB light that we got fromthe local store where I got my tortoise. Its name is Momo. :)

XiaoMomo

Berkeley
All the pics look like pretty normal stuff. I don't see anything to be concerned about.

There is no way for us to know if you can take better care of your tortoise because we don't know what you are doing now. I think everyone, including me, can take "better" care of their tortoise in some way or other. If you are following the info in the case sheet that Karen linked for you, that is the "best" way to care for your baby. Check it out, and come back with all your questions.

Okay, thank you so much, Tom! I checked out the link that Karen shared, and it’s very helpful. This helps a lot!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Thank you so much for the long reply and all of your help! I’m very glad most of it seems normal.

This is the basking lamp I am using: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KLZCDQH/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

And I have a 100W UVB light that we got fromthe local store where I got my tortoise. Its name is Momo. :)

When I click that link, it takes me to a CHE, which is used to provide heat only.
You should be using a bulb that gives out heat and light for basking.
Did you send the wrong link? Or you don't use a basking bulb?

Also, please post a pic of the UVB light you're using, and of your entire enclosure.
I'm pretty sure improvements can be made here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

The link is to a CHE. Used with a thermostat, those are good for maintaining ambient temp.

The 100 watt UVB light is probably a mercury vapor bulbs and those should not be used over young growing tortoises. It will cause pyramiding, and they have a list of problems. Sound like you got the usual bad pet store advice and wrong products. Post a pic of the enclosure, and we can help you with your goal of taking better care of your tortoise.