White spot on Sulcata's head

Tortski

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
My Sulcata is about 4 years, and about a year ago I noticed a white spot on his head. Recently I noticed that it might be growing, although I might just be imaging it.
I would bring him to a vet, but my mom may need some convincing, as she wouldn't take him when it first appeared.

Bee62

Germany
Hello @Baileypup2001 and a very warm welcome to the forum.
Can you please show us some pics of your tortoise and the white spot on his head ?
Without a picture it is impossible to say something about it.

Bee62

Germany
Sorry, I see the pictures but I have no idea what it could be.
I hope that some other member can tell you something about it.
Mayby @Yvonne G
Help please !

Tortski

Arizona
@Bee62 Thanks for trying. As it was my first post I had no idea if someone would actually answer. You have no idea how much it means to me that you tried

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Sorry, I thought the picture had posted. Thanks:)

View attachment 201778
It just looks like old skin being shed to me.

All animals shed skin. Snakes do it tidily all in one go. Humans do it in tiny bits that become house dust. Torts do it in patches and look downright tatty at times.

It's nothing to worry about and requires no treatment or potions. The old skin rubs off as your tort goes about its business.

Bee62

Germany
Bailypoop2001 said
@Bee62 Thanks for trying. As it was my first post I had no idea if someone would actually answer. You have no idea how much it means to me that you tried

Here are a lot of friendly members that are willing to share their experience with others. You are very welcome.
Stay with us if you like
.:)
I am still glad to have found this forum. You can ask any question about tortoises and get answers very quick.

Tortski

Arizona
It just looks like old skin being shed to me.

All animals shed skin. Snakes do it tidily all in one go. Humans do it in tiny bits that become house dust. Torts do it in patches and look downright tatty at times.

It's nothing to worry about and requires no treatment or potions. The old skin rubs off as your tort goes about its business.
Thank you. Does it normally take around a year to shed? If it doesn't, is there any way to help it along?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Yvonne would you have any ideas what it is? If not I will try to get him to a vet

I don't think this is vet-worthy. It just looks like he has rubbed off some scales. Scales grow back, if that's what it is, and it's not causing any pain and there's no risk of infection. What does it look like after you've wet it? You can also dab on a bit of olive oil and rub it in. Wipe it off then see what it looks like. They don't normally shed that skin. . . usually only on the neck skin and upper leg skin.

Tortski

Arizona
I don't think this is vet-worthy. It just looks like he has rubbed off some scales. Scales grow back, if that's what it is, and it's not causing any pain and there's no risk of infection. What does it look like after you've wet it? You can also dab on a bit of olive oil and rub it in. Wipe it off then see what it looks like. They don't normally shed that skin. . . usually only on the neck skin and upper leg skin.
Oh my gosh. Thank you so much! It's almost gone! He didn't enjoy it so he went into a corner that I can't reach, so I will have to wait to do the rest. I seriously don't know how to thank you enough!

Tortski

Arizona
Please help. He managed to cut the almost all of it off and he is bleeding. What can I do to help.

Bee62

Germany
Where is the cut ?
How much it is bleeding ?

Tortski

Arizona
My tortoise had a bump for a while and it never seemed to bother him. I was told just to put olive oil on it, and it went away, but came back. Somehow he managed to severe it almost completely. He is bleeding, but not horribly. My dad said it was probably just a scab, but I'm not sure. I can try to get a picture of the current situation when he comes out, but for now I can only give you a picture of the bump from before.

Tortski

Arizona
This is the best I could get.

Attachments

• 1499561494437.jpg
    1499561494437.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 50

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would get him out, clean it up with warm water and put some antibiotic cream on it. Then keep him inside on paper towels until it's closed so it stays clean and flies don't get on it. Any over the counter antibiotic cream

Tortski

Arizona
He got the rest of it off, as for the bleeding, it's not bad, just a little blood

1499561942633.jpg