White spot on Sulcata's head

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Yep you got to keep it clean so keep him out of the dirt and mulch.

That bump was an abscess that popped. If you let it get dirty it can get infected or flies can lay eggs in it and then you're looking at a vet visit.

Keep it clean and use triple antibiotic ointment on it and it will heal just fine

Bee62

Germany
Oh, poor tort.
Do you have hydrogen peroxide in the house ? You can clean the wound with this. The next days you must have a close look that no fly lay eggs in this wound. I think it will be healing without complications.
Where did he get this wound ? Is there a sharp thing or corner in his enclosure ?

Tortski

Arizona
I made another post, and Wellington had helped me, so hopefully it helps

Tortski

Arizona
Thank you. I got him out and cleaned it off, and put a paper towel on it. Right now he is trying to climb a step he was never able to climb. So he looks pretty happy. I have no idea what ointment was used, but hopefully it's good enough.

Tortski

Arizona
Yep you got to keep it clean so keep him out of the dirt and mulch.

That bump was an abscess that popped. If you let it get dirty it can get infected or flies can lay eggs in it and then you're looking at a vet visit.

Keep it clean and use triple antibiotic ointment on it and it will heal just fine
Is there any way to avoid it in the future?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
The paper towel is not for his head. You don't want the paper to stick to the wound.

What we were trying to tell you is to basically keep it is a clean sterol environment. When torts are cut you can't have them getting all dirty so you're supposed to remove them from there current set up and put them in a nice clean one that has paper towels or something like that as substrate.

Tortski

Arizona
Nevermind, I looked more into it, and I'll try to keep a better eye on him to make sure he doesn't hurt himself. I had no idea how or when he cut himself, but I will watch him better

Tortski

Arizona
Oh, poor tort.
Do you have hydrogen peroxide in the house ? You can clean the wound with this. The next days you must have a close look that no fly lay eggs in this wound. I think it will be healing without complications.
Where did he get this wound ? Is there a sharp thing or corner in his enclosure ?
Sorry, I didn't realize that you posted again. I have no idea, but at the moment we just put warm water the ointment on it. I will make sure he has it covered, as right now he a piece of paper towel and he doesn't even realize that it's there, but I will still keep a close eye. Tortdad told me it was an abscess that popped, I have no idea what caused the abscess as it started before he got his current cage. I believe he might've gotten hurt on a coffee table we were using as a hide, and to be honest I've should gotten it out a month or two ago. As for now he no longer has a hide, but does have a dark half of his cage to cool down in.

Tortski

Arizona
Twp things that aren't being answered is how often should I change the towel and clean it off. Thanks for the help

Tortski

Arizona
The paper towel is not for his head. You don't want the paper to stick to the wound.

What we were trying to tell you is to basically keep it is a clean sterol environment. When torts are cut you can't have them getting all dirty so you're supposed to remove them from there current set up and put them in a nice clean one that has paper towels or something like that as substrate.
Okay, I will try my best. I'll see if I can try to get his cage as clean as I can. Sorry for those other things, I didn't realize you posted.

Tortski

Arizona
How else should I keep it clean. My parents want to see how he does during the night before cleaning out the cage, and I don't have anything else to keep him in. I did get thing thing that cut him out. How should I cover it to make sure it doesn't get dirt in it. Sorry for misunderstanding, I saw blood and went into panic mode, so I wasn't thinking right

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You "cover'" it with the ointment, and you put paper towels down on the floor of the habitat so he doesn't get dirt on it.

Tortski

Arizona
You "cover'" it with the ointment, and you put paper towels down on the floor of the habitat so he doesn't get dirt on it.
Thanks. Would it be okay to leave the dirt in? My parents don't want the dirt to be taken out

Tortski

Arizona
I should mention that it's not actually dirt, it's mostly just wood chips, and small amount of dirt that didn't get cleaned out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The idea is you're trying to keep that wound clean. The tortoise would still be able to scratch up the paper towel and get into the substrate. What is it about "first aid" that your parents don't understand. If you had an injury like that on your knee would they allow you to play around in the dirt and get dirt and germs into the wound? If you want it to get infected and maybe lose the tortoise or have him suffer with a terrible infection, then, by all means, respect your parents wishes and keep the dirty substrate in the enclosure. Or just take it all out and lay down some newspaper or paper towels until it scabs over and starts to heal.

Tortski

Arizona
The idea is you're trying to keep that wound clean. The tortoise would still be able to scratch up the paper towel and get into the substrate. What is it about "first aid" that your parents don't understand. If you had an injury like that on your knee would they allow you to play around in the dirt and get dirt and germs into the wound? If you want it to get infected and maybe lose the tortoise or have him suffer with a terrible infection, then, by all means, respect your parents wishes and keep the dirty substrate in the enclosure. Or just take it all out and lay down some newspaper or paper towels until it scabs over and starts to heal.
I'm not quite sure how they don't understand. They are saying that because the wound is on his head, that dirt won't get into it. I got yelled at for saying that it won't work. At the moment I have a paper towel on to hope to keep dirt out, yes I understand that it could get stuck in it, but at the moment I'm not sure what to do. My mom has suggest loose gauze, but she says he might try to scratch it off. I'm also thinking of just putting a band aid on a hoping he won't have an issue with it