White spots appearing on RFT shell???

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyxigirl

5 Year Member
I have had this girl for 7 years and she is perfectly healthy (aside from slight pyramiding) about 6 or so months ago I noticed a single white spot appear on her shell, I thought nothing of it as it didnt look like fungus, a month went by and she developed more, slowly they appeared around her shell, so I took her to the best reptile vet that we have around here, unfortunately she has very limited exp. with tortoises and she came to the conclusion that the spots are damage? she said she must have gotten caught in something while outdoors and scraped her shell. I didnt buy it but what else could I do, theres no other reptile vets around here. Now months later she has more spots growing, all around the edges where her shell sections meets..what the heck is this??? Please help! Attached 2 pics.
031.JPG
030.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
Its nothing to worry about :).

Some people call it marbling. Just a little bit of white coloration in the growth lines. Look up "marbled cherry heads" and you'll find tons of pictures. Happens a little bit in red foots sometimes to. Certainly not "damage".

pyxigirl

5 Year Member
Thanks so much for the answer.. I googled "Marbled Cherry Heads" and saw a lot of pictures, it looks exactly like what is starting on my tortoise.
So much for wasting $50 at that useless vet ><

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.