White spots on ornate box turtle

Halferc

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I just saw hear spots on my male ornate box turtle - is this an injury that has gone down to the bone ? Should I be worried

Attachments

• 793C997B-BCE2-4E03-B756-E26B66AE9CA7.jpeg
    793C997B-BCE2-4E03-B756-E26B66AE9CA7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • 2800E52F-8D3A-473F-92F2-58F74C4E15B3.jpeg
    2800E52F-8D3A-473F-92F2-58F74C4E15B3.jpeg
    444.6 KB · Views: 25

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
This does look like exposed bone, indicating that your turtle has been chewed on. Can any predators get into its enclosure?

zovick

10 Year Member!
I just saw hear spots on my male ornate box turtle - is this an injury that has gone down to the bone ? Should I be worried
That is exposed bone you are seeing. However, the injuries look quite old (weeks or months as opposed to days) and are probably nothing to worry about at this point.

How long have you had this turtle? Those injuries have been there for some time, so I am thinking you recently acquired it or else you just noticed them even though you've had the turtle a while.

Halferc

Florida
I have had him for about 10 years but noticed one in fall but the others are more recent after brumation - I am wondering if he scraped it in the clay tiles I have in his enclosure- he sometimes digs under them

Halferc

Florida
This does look like exposed bone, indicating that your turtle has been chewed on. Can any predators get into its enclosure?
I don’t think anything can get into his enclosure it is double wired all around and locked . Hmmmm wow I hope I don’t have rats chewing on him.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I have had him for about 10 years but noticed one in fall but the others are more recent after brumation - I am wondering if he scraped it in the clay tiles I have in his enclosure- he sometimes digs under them
Those look deeper than a scrape from digging under a piece of clay tile. Maybe some rodents got into where he was hibernating? Or was it totally secure, as in a refrigerator or something like that?

Halferc

Florida
Those look deeper than a scrape from digging under a piece of clay tile. Maybe some rodents got into where he was hibernating? Or was it totally secure, as in a refrigerator or something like that?
It is a Christmas tree bin with a double wire top.