white spots on shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

imadude1134

5 Year Member
Hey all

I have an 8 yr old sulcata and noticed that he has 3 white spots on his shell. He lives outside in a dog house with a heater, southern California, eats mostly grass and a little bit of hibiscus flowers... Any ideaswhat it could be?

100MEDIAIMAG0500.jpg

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Those black and white lines are his New growth lines :)
No problem at all.

imadude1134

5 Year Member
Jacob said:
Those black and white lines are his New growth lines :)
No problem at all.

The one that I am concerned about is the large, thick white spot in the crease between the 2 plates, right in the center of the pic. There are 3 on his back now (only 1 pictured), and he didn't have them before. Is it a "growing" line?

jason g.

5 Year Member
Rod had white marks something like that. People said they were grow lines. His shell seemed real dry. It was suggested I use vita shell. I did and it makes his she'll look good. I also use olive oil with calcium mixed in it. But no one told me it helps. I got confused on a thread and misread it. It makes his shell look so pretty I'm not gonna stop. I was also told it wouldn't hurt him either.

yazzy1012

5 Year Member
jason g. said:
Rod had white marks something like that. People said they were grow lines. His shell seemed real dry. It was suggested I use vita shell. I did and it makes his she'll look good. I also use olive oil with calcium mixed in it. But no one told me it helps. I got confused on a thread and misread it. It makes his shell look so pretty I'm not gonna stop. I was also told it wouldn't hurt him either.

You rub olive oil and there shell? Interesting. Helps to not dry it out as much? I usually just soak mine at least every other day.

jason g.

5 Year Member
yazzy1012 said:
You rub olive oil and there shell? Interesting. Helps to not dry it out as much? I usually just soak mine at least every other day.

I soak him every day and use vita shell 2 times a week and olive oil once a week. Like I said it makes him look realty pretty and it can't hurt I was told. I haven't seen a white mark science the 1st 3 weeks I had him and he's tripled in size. And growing fast. He was 4 1/4" 2 1/2 weeks ago. He was 4 3/4" today. He's growing fast. I worry to fast sometimes. Then I have to remember they all grow at different rates. ;)

yazzy1012

5 Year Member
Yeah mine is about 105 pounds and about 15 years old so his growth has slowed compared to younger ones. Mainly just packing on some weight now. Another reason that I don't have to soak daily. Have the try out the shell stuff.

TurtleRescueLI

5 Year Member
Not sure what the white spots are, perhaps being kept too dry. But you should never rub anything on the shell because the shell is porous and needs to breath. When you rub on things like vita shell or olive oil you're clogging the pores. Some have claimed that the vita shell may have even caused deformities to their turtles because of the clogging. Best to only cleanse the shell with plain water and let it look natural. They don't look shiny in the wild.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Moderator note:

Will everyone please stay on target? imadude1134 is worried about the white on the new growth. If you want to ask your own question or talk about something else, please start your own thread.

Hi imadude1134:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

You can take a soft bristle brush and some water and gently scrub those spots. Your tortoise's shell looks a bit dry to me. After you have scrubbed all the growth spaces, then dry him off and apply some mineral oil or olive oil with a Q-tip to the spaces between the scutes. This will help the new growth to separate from the existing scutes. After you have all the spaces painted with the oil, then wipe off the excess. I don't think those spots are anything to worry about, and I think the oil will help. But try not to get it all over the shell. Too much of any topical will make dirt adhere to the shell and the tortoise may overheat because of it.

What would you like us to call you?

imadude1134

5 Year Member
Sorry, forgive me. I just saw those spots and paniced a little, and forum ettiquitte flew out the window....

My name is Tim, my sulcata is Sammy. He is 8 yrs old and approx 30 lbs. I have done the brush and water before, and I just have really hard water, it still comes back. I have also tried to brush off the 3 white spots, but they don't come off. It isn't soft there, so the shell is still hard.

I will have to try the olive oil thing. Could this be because it is dry? Maybe a fungus? The first thing I thought when I saw it was shell rot, and that is why I panicked.... Hopefully it is nothing, but I just don't know...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tim:

My "reprimand" wasn't directed towards you. This is your thread and you can talk about whatever you want. I was asking the other folks who had taken it off subject to remember that this is YOUR thread and if they want to talk about their stuff they need to start their own thread.

Now on to the oil. Sometimes when a tortoise is very dry, the new growth seems to stick together and doesn't expand like it is supposed to. By painting only the seams, where the new growth appears, you help to lubricate it and expand like it should.

No, its not fungus or shell rot. Its just the new growth trying to grow and having a hard time of it.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I actually use a bottle of $3 vitamin E oil from walmart. During a soak I brush it onto the shell and rinse the excess off under running water. Works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.