White Stuff Coming Out of Tortosie's Back End. Urates?

TortMom6

Location (City and/or State)
Citrus Heights, California, USA
Based on some posts I just read I think what I am seeing are urates, but I want a second opinion.

I was just checking on my 2 month old Greek tortoise when I saw this white stuff coming out of his backside.
I first noticed it last night after his soak. I let him wander around on my bed and then this stuff started coming out. He was normal when I put him back.
I went to spray his enclosure just now and saw it again.
It's a creamy white color and seems to be somewhere between a solid and mush in texture.

Any idea what this could be? Is it Urates? Or something different and I need to rush him to a vet?IMG_20181013_130041.jpeg

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Based on some posts I just read I think what I am seeing are urates, but I want a second opinion.

I was just checking on my 2 month old Greek tortoise when I saw this white stuff coming out of his backside.
I first noticed it last night after his soak. I let him wander around on my bed and then this stuff started coming out. He was normal when I put him back.
It's a creamy white color and seems to be somewhere between a solid and mush in texture.

Any idea what this could be? Is it Urates? Or something different and I need to rush him to a vet?View attachment 254115
Definitely urates, which is normal. If they are creamy and pasty, that's a good sign. Dry or gritty urates is a sign of dehydration.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In such a small baby, this is an indicator that it is not hydrated enough. I would soak a baby daily until they reach 100+ grams. I'd also check humidity and make sure its in the 50-70% range.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
In such a small baby, this is an indicator that it is not hydrated enough. I would soak a baby daily until they reach 100+ grams. I'd also check humidity and make sure its in the 50-70% range.
Is it only because of that, or could they be hydrated and still pass urates? I'm only asking because my Greek hatchlings pass a very small amount of urates from time to time, and they are all soaked for 30 minutes every morning since the day I got them (and all come from reputable breeders who soaked them too). I spray down their substrate while they are soaking (some enclosures have completely damp substrate, depending on the subspecies), and all have humid hides in their enclosures, so their enclosures maintain 70-80% humidity. My hatchlings vary in age from 2-4 months.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it only because of that, or could they be hydrated and still pass urates? I'm only asking because my Greek hatchlings pass a very small amount of urates from time to time, and they are all soaked for 30 minutes every morning since the day I got them (and all come from reputable breeders who soaked them too). I spray down their substrate while they are soaking (some enclosures have completely damp substrate, depending on the subspecies), and all have humid hides in their enclosures, so their enclosures maintain 70-80% humidity. My hatchlings vary in age from 2-4 months.
None of my hatchlings or babies of any species pass urates when they are well hydrated. Urates are formed by protein digestion and the less hydration, the more you see them. I would not worry about a small amount of creamy textured urates once in a while. The only time I see them in babies is when I get a baby from someone else who kept it drier than me and didn't soak as much, and even then I don't see them for more than a week or two.

drew54

Indiana

Any idea what this could be? Is it Urates? Or something different and I need to rush him to a vet?View attachment 254115

He is beautiful! Wow!

drew54

Indiana
Thank you! I've never had one so little, or actually a Greek before. I have a three-toed box turtle, and a juvenile leopard tortoise. This is my first Greek. He has so much personality. I love him.
Are all Greeks that color?