White throat monitor

kyel3840

Location (City and/or State)
Bethany , Oklahoma
Is there much of a difference between a whitethroat monitor and blackthroat besides just size? I used to have a blackthroat and was thinking of getting a whitethroat and didnt know if they are the same temperament wise or are they different in that area as well?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Is there much of a difference between a whitethroat monitor and blackthroat besides just size? I used to have a blackthroat and was thinking of getting a whitethroat and didnt know if they are the same temperament wise or are they different in that area as well?
I've raised both and I don't see much difference at all. My white throats were actually a little less "pissy" than the blacks, but I like the appearance of the blacks better. Both are awesome species. I feed babies a lot of insects, and then transition to a wide variety of foods as they get older including mice, small rats, chicks, quail, gophers, ground squirrel and rabbit parts, freshly killed frozen and then thawed snakes, and anything else I can find. I think variety is important in their diet.

Another KEY element is hydration. So many people treat these like desert animals. I use damp coco chips (not coir) for substrate and I make a good humid hide out of a plastic container with a hole on the side for them. Moderate humidity, and that humid hide help them IMMENSELY. You can soak them in a bucket of warm water occasionally, but I'm not sure that is really necessary.