Whither the yellow foot?

SteveW

It occurred to me recently that I hear very little about yellow foots (feet?). This seems surprising as they appear to be something of a red foot that grows to leopard size, which is not an unappealing combination. Also, they are readily available and not expensive. No urgency here, as my sights are elsewhere, just curious. Any insights out there?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've always wondered about that too. I have 1.4 YF tortoises, and far as I'm concerned, they're not nearly as pretty as the RF tortoises. They're rather dull looking. I would like to have the giant kind, but mine are the smaller ones.

Yellowfoot  #1 12-05-14 b.jpg Yellowfoot #2 12-05-14 b.jpg Yellowfoot tortoises 2-22-15.jpg Yellowfoot tortoises 9-30-15 a.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I do have three RF, however, I don't spend much time with them, so can't say what their behaviour is like. The YF are similar to my box turtles. They see me coming and crowd over to see what kind of treat I may have for them. I had three eggs hatch several years ago and kept the babies together (you can see two of them nice and shiny in the last picture. I had them before I knew about humidity and pyramiding). The babies all bit each others' tails off. They were pretty aggressive as babies. But now that they all live outside in a large yard they live peaceably together.

richosullivan

5 Year Member
Orlando
It occurred to me recently that I hear very little about yellow foots (feet?). This seems surprising as they appear to be something of a red foot that grows to leopard size, which is not an unappealing combination. Also, they are readily available and not expensive. No urgency here, as my sights are elsewhere, just curious. Any insights out there?

It seems to me that they are available if you know where to look for them, but if you just go to a reptile show or a pet store (where I would guess most people get their start), they are not really an option. When I got mine, I was at a Repticon event, and he was the only one available.

20170816_125950_resized.jpg 20170816_125923_resized.jpg

Wherethetortiroam

5 Year Member
He's a cutie.

Yvonne, where those cherry tomatoes in the picture that your torts were feasting on?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Even here in south Florida where Redfoot are pretty common, Yellows are not seen very often.
I do think it's because when customers are looking for babies, they prefer color. And the baby reds look more appealing.

Meganolvt

Michigan
20160514_164137.jpg I love my yellowfoot. Hes got a ton of personality. I think it must be the color. Redfoots and cherryheads are so pretty, yellows just look dull and boring in comparison. Of course i disagree .

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I love yellowfoots and can't wait to come across one to rescue. I may be getting a female in the spring. :)

Loni

Maple Ridge, BC Canada

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I think there also may be a stigma that yellowfoots are more difficult to care for and more shy? I doubt this is true, but not owning anything but redfoots, I can't speak to either of these stereotypes.