Who are Florida members?

richosullivan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando
Still have power somehow, not sure how long that will last - lots of people have already lost here in Orlando. This is what it is like outside right now:

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
10:15pm and still have power on the space coast of Florida. Worst is yet to come overnight. Winds are howling, branches rolling on the roof. Praying for safety of my family. Hoping to wake up to an intact roof, gentle breezes and the after hurricane green blanket of oak leaves on my lawn.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
The problem was that Irma was a monster storm, the likes of which no one had ever seen! Predictions of her path were sketchy at best. First we heard maybe she'll bear right toward Miami. Then we heard she was making a beeline up the middle. Then when she didn't turn north like anticipated, landfall would be on the western part of the state. Thing is, it really didn't matter where she was headed. She was so huge, she'd cover the entire state and some! That's what made it so difficult to evacuate. So, I hope Greg took all his Aldabras out of the state, cause no where in Florida would've been safe enough. I'm so sick learning how one person, who runs a rescue in Central Florida, had half of the roof of her shed that housed a 356 lbs tortoise, blown off. She's spending the night with him trying to keep him from drowning! I'm safe and my 4 torts are snug as a bug in their insulted sheds. Last week I almost rented a truck to transport the tortoises, if it came to that. Fortunately for me, all the forecasts showed the Cat 5 hurricane steering clear from the panhandle. Now that I know we WILL have winds and rain too, it will not be even a cat 1 when it gets here. So, we're good this time. But, all those torts that burrow underground are in extreme danger. God help Floridians and their animals!!!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
9:30am Mon Florida space coast power back on. Went out 1:30am. Redfoots back outside happy to be out of their tubs. Still a bit breezy but bearable, lots of oak to clean up. Will have firewood for Christmas.
Hooray!!!! SO GLAD you and your torts are ok! :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Amazingly intact here too.
No power.
But we have a generator.
The fence blew down. Some light roof damage and a tree.
Just from bands of a storm that missed us.
This one was a monster.
Hopefully it was a freak and not the "new normal".

Big B

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL
Wow what a big storm, I've lived in Orlando for over 40 years and never had a hurricane like that. Great to see other people with tortoises in the house. Stay safe during the cleanup Fla tort people!

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
First hurricane to put entire state of Florida under hurricane watch. It just left central Florida and it's making the lights flicker at my daughters in Atlanta. I hope this doesn't occur like Houston flooding, 3 once in 500 year floods in the last 3 years.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
We're ok. No structural damage but tons of fallen trees in my neighborhood.
I lost three trees but none over 12 feet tall.
Spent all day cleaning up around my house and neighbor's. What a mess!

Put the tortoises back outside and my largest female promptly discovered a dead knight anoles from the storm...and started munching on it.

No power, limited cell service. But water.
Only about 105 inside the house now. Oh, and 95 percent humidity.
Great for sleeping....NOT!

Streets are lined with enormous piles of debris already.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
We're ok. No structural damage but tons of fallen trees in my neighborhood.
I lost three trees but none over 12 feet tall.
Spent all day cleaning up around my house and neighbor's. What a mess!

Put the tortoises back outside and my largest female promptly discovered a dead knight anoles from the storm...and started munching on it.

No power, limited cell service. But water.
Only about 105 inside the house now. Oh, and 95 percent humidity.
Great for sleeping....NOT!

Streets are lined with enormous piles of debris already.
So glad you're ok!!!:)
Thanks for checking in!