Who grows their own plants and vegetables?

Alicia Hoogstra

I have just started growing little "Luna" food, I have actually been growing a bunch of these plants for years! Lol Luna is my tiny Sulcata and will soon be joined by a friend "Lilly" a leopard tortoise.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1492371253.934738.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1492371268.371355.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1492371278.805304.jpg

Alicia Hoogstra

I also have several more in my perennial flower beds!! Lots of succulents, sea holly, and many more! I'm in MI and would be happy to share anything I have!!

Greta16

Location (City and/or State)
Western Maine
Is there someone on here that grows their own spineless Optunia that would sell some that I could grow? I'd like to make a sort of Tort salad dressing with it since she doesn't touch her Mazuri...

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I have some spineless opuntia i found growing wild here about 20 years ago and planted here. I'm in Ag Zone 7A. In a real brutal winter with 0 degree weather, some of the pads will get mushy. Some of those will recover somewhat in the summer.
They have the "invisible" tiny fiberglas-like spikes. Since i only have a couple little boxies, i just pick a pad occasionally, and wearing leather gloves, rub it down well with a rag to remove the itchies. Warning, the rag can attack you after that if left unwashed. Then i store it in the fridge, occasionally cutting off a thin long strip.

My mid-size boxie Felter has started devouring a lot of this again lately. He ate some last summer but didn't eat much in the way of vegs during the winter. But now he is being a good kid and eating a lot of cactus again.
My 3-year-old Rorg, seldom nibbles much at vegs yet.

Greta16

Western Maine
Does anyone know if these relatives of optunia are as good for torts?

Attachments

• 1493063809800.jpg
    1493063809800.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 11
Manteca, CA
Want food should I feed my marginated tortoises
I used to feed them lambs and romaine lettuce but a Facebook page said u can only feed them fresh weeds and flowers
The secret to a good diet is having VARIED Diet. It's always best to give your tortoises a good wide range of weeds, flowers, succulents, cacti, leaves, fruits, grasses, and plants. I like to feed all Greek Tortoises some safe weeds around the yard that are safe to eat. For example, Dandelion plant & flowers, plantain, Bermuda grass, hibiscus flowers and leaves, safe succulents, spineless prickly pear, and alfalfa. ect..
I mix all these plants into a bowl and chop them up if necessary.
Here's a good website that helps with identifying safe and unsafe plants: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk
Hope this helped!

euryhogs

Portsmouth, UK
Looking at doing the square foot garden myself, but unsure of what I can use for the tort food. Would you say that this (http://www.diy.com/departments/verve-tub-basket-compost-50l/258302_BQ.prd) would be a good thing to start with? It says it's organic but that could just be a meaningless phrase, what do you think?

Was worried about the vermiculite and found that the coir is just as good.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I have some spineless opuntia...

They have the "invisible" tiny fiberglas-like spikes. Since i only have a couple little boxies, i just pick a pad occasionally, and wearing leather gloves, rub it down well with a rag to remove the itchies. Warning, the rag can attack you after that if left unwashed...

My mid-size boxie Felter has started devouring a lot of this again lately. He ate some last summer but didn't eat much in the way of vegs during the winter. But now he is being a good kid and eating a lot of cactus again.
My 3-year-old Rorg, seldom nibbles much at vegs yet.

Warning! Something i never noticed until i did my wash yesterday. Maybe it was a fuller load than usual; maybe i had more spines in the rag. But now the other clothes i washed with the rag have little itchies, and the rag still has many.

Also, a few days ago little Rorg finally started eating the cactus strips! Ate quite a bit of it the other day. And has nibbled on Houttuynia leaf some since. About time, at age 3, he showed interest in veggies.

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
. I think in Ohio weather you can very successfully grow any kind of opuntia in pot as long as you are willing to bring it in to protect from the freeze which to me is a lot more work than I'm willing/able to do

I'm able to do it in Missouri - bring them in when lows start getting in 30s, out when lows are staying in the 50s. They seem to do well and actually grew a fair amount while inside during the winter this past year.

Alicia Hoogstra

I have the native Optunia growing in my "dry" bed here in MI....however, they have BIG pricklies (lol) all over them.