Who has built an aquarium?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
For various reasons, I need an uncommon sized tank. I might have to try building it myself. Is that a reasonable idea? The YouTube videos make it look easy!?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
From all glass or plexi, or from wood with a viewing window on one side?
It's for my 3-footed Mississippi mud turtle who is a NON-swimmer.
Basically, if I could find or make a tank that's just like her 40 gallon breeder, but with about the top 5" removed so it's a shorter, squatter tank, that would be perfect.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They used to sell a turtle aquarium that had one end of the tank glass about half the size as the other 3 sides. It made for about half the tank being able to hold water, giving empty space for basking docks without being too close to the top of the tank.
The short side is where the filtration was placed.
If you just need a tank for holding a lot less water and still being able to easily filter it, this might he perfect for your little 3 legged.
If you can't find one, I haven't seen them for years now, just remove one end of an aquariums glass, have it cut in half or to whatever height you think would work and then put it back on.

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
If you get the right thickness of glass, any non toxic silicone, and some isopropyl alcohol to make sure the surfaces are grease free, you'll be just fine. I haven't done it myself but I've watched people knock them up in 3 minutes paying no attention to any of the above and the result has been just fine.
The part that would make me nervous is cutting the glass, as that also looks easy but I've managed to mess it up before. You'll need to buy the glass from somewhere, and they will probably cut it to suit your needs if you ask them to.
Good luck! I'd be interested to see the results :)

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I built one out of some window pains from my house, but those may be too thin for water. It was fun...and frustrating...I should've asked for some help. Acrylic could be the way to go. It's lighter, but I think it's pricier than glass. A super and I mean super *da da da dum* way to get a huge tank is one of those large sterilite bins at target. Or a stock tank.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I would check around and find a professional glass business, maybe a window installer. Ask them if they would be willing to cut a 40g breeder down for you. You might not even have to take it apart. Good to buy when Petco has their $1/gal sale.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Don't know if they still make these "low boy" tanks...great for snakes before those hideously inhumane shoebox racks became all the rage:

This is really cool, but the footprint is too big, I'm afraid. Her tank is in our dining room, along with Nelson's tank. Both are 40 gallon breeders (36" x 18"). I REALLY like having them where we sit every day, so I've got to make it fit the existing space.
But thanks a lot for this reference- It will get filed away for possible future use!

ZenHerper

New Jersey
This is really cool, but the footprint is too big, I'm afraid. Her tank is in our dining room, along with Nelson's tank. Both are 40 gallon breeders (36" x 18"). I REALLY like having them where we sit every day, so I've got to make it fit the existing space.
But thanks a lot for this reference- It will get filed away for possible future use!
They should come in other sizes, if zoomed still makes them. Contact them for inventory/availability.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
For the love of Chelonia, kids, use protective goggles and heavy gloves!

I can't tell if he scored inconsistently, or if the glass cracked crooked on its own...but who doesn't love some DIY engineering!

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
For the love of Chelonia, kids, use protective goggles and heavy gloves!

I can't tell if he scored inconsistently, or if the glass cracked crooked on its own...but who doesn't love some DIY engineering!
He scored badly. I can't blame him because its hard to do. You need a way to fix a metal rule to the aquarium to rest the scorer against. It needs to be firm enough to put a fair bit of pressure against, and stay in place to go back over with another score if necessary... I imagine he just held it in place and it slipped around.

Then you need to get busy sanding the edges down. Not a fun job, but I like the guy presenting!