Who has the oldest tortoise on the forum

Emmawilly

Location (City and/or State)
Plymouth
We inherited a horsfield tortoise 15 years ago when our neighbour died. He was with Terry for 45 years next door and he had inherited him from someone in the same street when they died. Terry thought he was over 90 years old but there's no way to verify that. He lived in the garden all his life, eating weeds, no heat, no baths, no lights, very basic hibernation (and in the south west of UK so cold weather). I cringe writing this but when he used to come out of hibernation the original owner used to run him under the cold tap to bring him round. We took Timmy in when our neighbour became ill but he died very shortly after our neighbour did. I was devastated at the time, I think I changed too many things for him too quickly and he wasn't used to heat and baths. Still, if he was over 90 years, that's still a good innings.

Merry Christmas all, hope you and your tortoises are all well feed and happy x

zovick

10 Year Member!
View attachment 313900

This female was an adult in the 1970's when she arrived at the Honolulu Zoo. She was the one that AI was used with, sorta worked. She ended up with egg yolk peritonitis, and had a surgery removing her 'female' parts. The keeper I spoke with that had been part of her care for the last 30+/- years said she has subsequently grown more gular, and taken on some male characteristics.

Image taken 24 Dec 2020. She's at least 70 years old if not older? Not a tortoise record, but a remarkable individual considering her history. It is also somewhat impactful for me to see a tortoise that was important to Sean. I see why he loved the Honolulu Zoo so much. The keeper staff is extraordinary. They actively engage with the public. I like the SD zoo plenty, but keepers there sorta got anti-public blinders on, maybe for good reason (?), but it's a pleasure to see keepers engaging with the public so readily.

I had to wear some tortoise shirt at the zoo, The Kinixys Cooperative was the choice today. If you're into hingebacks it's a great resource.

Nice photo, Will.

That female in your picture was imported at the same time as the female in my photos. They were part of a group of 2.4 animals imported by one of my friends in collaboration with the Honolulu Zoo in 1971. All 6 animals were placed at Honolulu Zoo initially. I was sold one of the four females by my friend in 1977 which is how I obtained her.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
IMG_20191208_112048_965~2.jpg

Chili was apparently an adult when his previous owner took him in 20+ years before he came to live with me... so although he's certainly not the oldest on TFO, Chili must be at least 25 years old.

He is very active, energetic, and horny; he loves eating a variety of foods, spending time exploring (and digging in) his indoor and outdoor enclosures, and mating with any/all of the email Russians in residence here.

Jamie

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
View attachment 313917

Chili was apparently an adult when his previous owner took him in 20+ years before he came to live with me... so although he's certainly not the oldest on TFO, Chili must be at least 25 years old.

He is very active, energetic, and horny; he loves eating a variety of foods, spending time exploring (and digging in) his indoor and outdoor enclosures, and mating with any/all of the email Russians in residence here.

Jamie
Must be the vodka haha

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
View attachment 313900

This female was an adult in the 1970's when she arrived at the Honolulu Zoo. She was the one that AI was used with, sorta worked. She ended up with egg yolk peritonitis, and had a surgery removing her 'female' parts. The keeper I spoke with that had been part of her care for the last 30+/- years said she has subsequently grown more gular, and taken on some male characteristics.

Image taken 24 Dec 2020. She's at least 70 years old if not older? Not a tortoise record, but a remarkable individual considering her history. It is also somewhat impactful for me to see a tortoise that was important to Sean. I see why he loved the Honolulu Zoo so much. The keeper staff is extraordinary. They actively engage with the public. I like the SD zoo plenty, but keepers there sorta got anti-public blinders on, maybe for good reason (?), but it's a pleasure to see keepers engaging with the public so readily.

I had to wear some tortoise shirt at the zoo, The Kinixys Cooperative was the choice today. If you're into hingebacks it's a great resource.
You went to Hawaii for Christmas? You forgot to send me my ticket!

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Yes, that is him. He is a beauty and one of my favorite tortoises.

I had an even larger one than that also, but I loaned him out to a zoo and he got an intestinal impaction (from being fed on sand) and died from the resulting infection. He weighed about 45 lbs. Here are a couple pix of the male who died. The second photos show him breeding with a huge female I owned which also died while out on a breeding loan. She froze to death when the heat failed at the facility where she was being kept on the coldest day in that area for 100 years. She had 30 eggs in her (multiple clutches) at the time of her death, but none were calcified enough to be incubated, unfortunately.

I was never able to get another adult female after the one pictured below was lost in 1985. So close to success, but yet so far.......

View attachment 313896

View attachment 313897

Wow, I had not heard the story about the male dying. That's terrible.

Imagine the world we'd be living in if these two had not died.

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
Yes, that is him. He is a beauty and one of my favorite tortoises.

I had an even larger one than that also, but I loaned him out to a zoo and he got an intestinal impaction (from being fed on sand) and died from the resulting infection. He weighed about 45 lbs. Here are a couple pix of the male who died. The second photos show him breeding with a huge female I owned which also died while out on a breeding loan. She froze to death when the heat failed at the facility where she was being kept on the coldest day in that area for 100 years. She had 30 eggs in her (multiple clutches) at the time of her death, but none were calcified enough to be incubated, unfortunately.

I was never able to get another adult female after the one pictured below was lost in 1985. So close to success, but yet so far.......

View attachment 313896

View attachment 313897
Beautiful torts!
but What a tragedy, those are some of the rarest species in the world. seems like the worst sin to let them get sick and die. I guess the foster homes didn’t know how to take care of them properly back then. I would have gone there and shoved sand down those those keepers throats so they can know how it feels. Well noted, I’ll never send my tort out for breading load.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
Beasley is "only" 22, but I know her exact hatchday, so at least I DO know her age for sure. :).