Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I have found a breeder and I'm trying to work out a volume deal to bring down the price. I've had 9 month olds offered to me for $1750 each and lots of hatchlings for $1000 each. I am trying to get the price down to a more reasonable $700-800 by buying in quantity. The breeder I have found has clutches from 5 females due to hatch in a few months. He is committed to send out a few, but is giving me a shot at the rest. I don't have enough cash sitting around to buy a ton of these, so I'm trying to see if anyone wants to go in on it with me. The more we buy, the cheaper they get. I'm looking at getting 4-6 for myself. Anyone else interested? It would be the same sort of deal that I do with the Gpp.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Well, the thread title said, "Who wants a Burmese Star," not "Who wants to pay for one" LOL ;)

Man, I would love love love to get a few... I have to wait until we move though :( I just don't have the space :(

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Grr...I just finalized my deal for 3 SLs or I would be on this...if you get enough interest to drop the price below $800 I might be able to go in for one or two.

I'll just skip spring break...and food this summer (who needs that) :D i can live without DisneyLand, just hope my little cousins aren't too disappointed if i dont join ;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Food is for the weak.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Angi said:
My husband would KILL me!

Didn't we just read a couple pages about your husband killing you? You live in a dangerous neighborhood!

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
emysemys said:
Angi said:
My husband would KILL me!

Didn't we just read a couple pages about your husband killing you? You live in a dangerous neighborhood!

Seriously...you ever die mysteriously we are so gonna tell the fuzz where to look :D

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Wish I lived in the states cause I'd totally buy

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Do you not find it strange that a breeder would drop the price by over half? I have been breeding SriLankan Stars for over 12 years now and have never had to do such a thing. I will be producing Burmese in probably the next year or two as I have been growing up babies for the last 7 years and have seen some breeding behavior but I rarely get fertile eggs the first season. There have not been many Burmese produced over the last few years as many of the breeders have been bought and sold and moved around a bit more than they like. Best of luck to you, be careful. All is not always as it appears. Douglas

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Douglas. Around $1000 seems to be the going retail price. So $700 to $800 for a wholesale lot, does not seem at all unreasonable to me. I'm also seeing a lot more of them available for sale each passing year. There were some for sale at the last Pomona reptile show that I went to for $700. I seriously considered them, but the guy selling them was a middleman, unwilling to give up the breeder name, and had no info on their history. I'm not willing to part with that kind of money for a baby with an unknown history. I tried emailing to get more info, but the guy just wasn't very helpful. At that point my search for a breeder resumed, but I knew then that the price was coming down...

The man that I found has a great reputation among his peers and has been recommended to me by several "tortoise men". I actually happened to meet him by chance AFTER he had already been recommended to me by a couple of friends. It took me a minute to realize who he was after I had met him. We had a whole conversation before I even realized that he was the guy that my other guy was trying to put me in contact with...

What do you think you will sell your babies for? I'd love to send some business your way.

IkeLightner

5 Year Member
Springfield, Missouri
I would be VERY interested too, Tom!!!!! Details please!!! ******* is my cell or you can email/contact me through here!!! Thanks

I took out your cell number, as it's not wise to post it on an open forum. Instead try sending Tom a PM ... Jacqui

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Kristina said:
Well, the thread title said, "Who wants a Burmese Star," not "Who wants to pay for one" LOL ;)

Man, I would love love love to get a few... I have to wait until we move though :( I just don't have the space :(

Just send me your Hingebacks, then you would have enough room... just sayin' :D I mean, I could FORCE myself to give them a place to stay. :D

IkeLightner

5 Year Member
Springfield, Missouri
can you explain to me the problem with posting my cell number? I can understand not posting your address, neighborhood, pictures of your house etc. What harm can be done to my cell number? I have never had an issue in the countless years I have been breeding and selling reptiles, and I always post my number, its the best way to reach me. The funny thing is, 95% of the reptile enthusiasts and my customers in general, do not like to talk on the phone. I can make a better deal for, and teach my customers much more over the phone than I can through text messages, but I think that is just a general society change. Please, not offense by my question, but I am just confused.

ayS

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I would be interested in some Burmese Stars if they become available in the 700-800 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.