Who would do this to an innocent Turtle! (Turtle taped to balloons floats over Cali)

Status
Not open for further replies.

prosteven

10 Year Member!
http://news.yahoo.com/turtle-taped-balloons-floats-over-calif-city-052300135.html

OCEANSIDE, Calif. (AP) — Humane Society officials in a Southern California city are trying to determine who duct-taped a turtle to a bunch of balloons and sent it soaring
Chanelle Wright told KGTV-TV (http://bit.ly/NZMAxa) Tuesday that she and her neighbors found the turtle taped to the green and blue balloons caught atop a eucalyptus tree in Oceanside on Sunday.
Wright said she called the Humane Society and Fire Department, who arrived about an hour later. Firefighters were about to rescue the turtle with a ladder truck when a gust of wind came and blew it to the ground.
Humane Society officials say they are keeping the turtle, which wasn't hurt, while they investigate.
Wright says she was horrified by the animal abuse and plans to adopt the turtle if no one claims it.

I am glad the turtle survived unharmed. Hopefully they'll catch the kids ( Or adults ) responsible for this.

Julius25

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
France
Poor innocent tort.
Cool she survives and wish have better calm day in her life.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
RE: Who would do this to an innocent Turtle! (Turtle taped to balloons floats over

Dear God. I think I lose more and more faith in humanity by the minute.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
As one of the comments on the news article read, "Its definitely time for school to start."

Sheesh, it never ceases to amaze me what goes through peoples' minds to possess them to do things like this.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's reason like these that makes me hate people. The biggest problem with abuse like this. The authorities never take it seriously enough. The punishments are usually a slap on the wrist:( I would lock them up for a very long time and fine them thousands. unless, I could get away with a death sentence. Animal abusers usually turn out to be no good all the way around.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
RE: Who would do this to an innocent Turtle! (Turtle taped to balloons floats over

Horrible! How can someone be so bloody cruel? Thank goodness it survived but I'm sure it'll be traumatised :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
While I absolutely hate it when people are mean to animals, we must temper our responses until we know the whole story. For instance, if this was done by a very young kid, who probably didn't think it through, then hanging the kid by his private parts from said eucalyptus tree would be a bit much.

If, however, it was done by a teen-ager or adult, someone who would know that an animal might possible suffer being sent into space without the benefit of his oxygen helmet, then no punishment would be too severe.

feline8

5 Year Member
MD
:( This is really sad. I hope the turtle finds a loving, permanent home.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
It was almost certainly done by a kid who didn't realize what would happen.... People are all up in arms like it was some mean man who should be put in jail when it was almost surely some 6 or 8 year old boy that thought it would go up 6 feet and come right back down. That's how kids work. Sad, yes, but every instance like this isn't automatically "animal cruelty." My 2 year old gets into my tortoises occasionally and carries them into the house in the back of his dump truck or piloting his toy airplane (somehow, it seems to always be Russians he grabs also). If the kid had been caught in the street holding a string attached to the tortoise and balloons, nobody would be calling this animal cruelty. Just that the balloon got away from the kid this time.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I hope someone contacts that shelter and lets them know its a russian tortoise and not a Turtle.. I hope it isnt in a tank of water like others have been...

MnM10

5 Year Member

I just posted it not realizing you had already. Sorry.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Just curious can anyone ID this guy, so far I have heard he was a russian and a box, I saw the picture on ABCnews but I could not tell from it.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Why don't we take that guy and tape him to balloons and send him floating away and let's see how he feels?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
the picture I saw looked like a steppe tortoise. so there are so many questions. If this was a "found" tortoise, then I might see someone being cruel. But if it was someone's pet, it was more than likely a very young kid who didn't realize the consequences. Steppe tortoises in the pet stores cost between $80 and $100. No one would spend that much money just to have it fly away.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Turtle tied to balloons, floats over city

Some jerk tied a tortoise to a bunch of helium balloons and let them carry him away. The balloons got caught in a tree, and the poor little tortoise was stuck up there until the Humane Society came and set him free. He was not physically harmed, but he was probably frightened. Whoever did this should be punished.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8520555/turtle-tied-to-balloons-floats-over-city

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
RE: Turtle tied to balloons, floats over city

Wow, I do not get how people can do this and have a conscience. No matter what animal, this is wrong...too bad they wanted to do this to an animal that is pretty close to defenseless.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
RE: Turtle tied to balloons, floats over city

there is already a thread on this... waiting to hear if it was a young kid who didnt know better or?????

Status
Not open for further replies.