Whoa! Glad they are both ok!

Loohan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North-Central Arkansas
Seems awful hard to believe. Turtle was clipped in such a manner that it went airborne and crashed thru a windshield on the interstate, and is not hurt.
Even just the part of it going airborne from being clipped is hard to believe. Let alone that that did not injure it. Then crashing thru a windshield at hwy speeds...

baker27

5 Year Member
I agree! Might of looked ok from the outside but who knows if it didn't have internal injuries.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's pretty high-domed to be a water turtle. I wish they had shown a better picture of it.

surfergirl

I think it is possible it had no injuries similar to an egg shell if hit just right the shell does not crack. I have seen box turtles shot across roads and into the ditch after being hit on the edge of thier dome and they only had scuffs on their shell. I would keep them for observation for a bit and they never seemed to be injured. Still ate and never showed signs of stress. I have found them injured on the roads with half their shells gone, etc. Fiberglass worked wonders for repair, they would be eating next day and could be released asap most times with no worries of birds eating them through the holes in thier shell. i would put them back to the wild quickly as soon possible. the very first one i repaired with plaster and actually had to change the bandage daily and replaster. It was too porous so not as sterile as the fiberglass set. Used betadine to clean the wounds. Never gave antiboitics and they healed up naturally after the initial rinse. Very resillent little boogers.

baker27

5 Year Member
It's pretty high-domed to be a water turtle. I wish they had shown a better picture of it.
Yvonne I thought so too. As soon as it said it was put back in the water I had to enlarge the pic to see if it actually was a water turtle. It looked like maybe a box turtle at first.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
http://abcnews.go.com/Weird/turtle-crashes-womans-windshield-florida-interstate/story?id=39097342

One woman got the shock of a lifetime after a turtle crashed through her windshield on a Florida highway.
The turtle was propelled through the air on I-4 in Deltona and crashed into Nicole Bjanes’ windshield as she was driving at about 75 miles an hour on Monday afternoon. Miraculously, the turtle and the driver both walked -- and, in one case, swam -- away mostly unscathed.
Florida Highway Patrol officers responding to the scene explained, “A vehicle in front [of Bjanes’ car] ran over the turtle. The turtle was thrown airborne and struck the windshield ... shattering it.”
Bjanes said she saw the debris in the road, but did not realize it was actually a turtle. The reptile came flying through her windshield, bounced off the passenger seat, and then landed on her dashboard. She was treated at the scene for minor cuts by EMS.

In a Facebook post, a shell-shocked Bjanes wrote that despite wanting to keep her new, albeit unexpected, friend, “The turtle was okay and we put it back in the water.”

According to FHP Sgt. Kim Montes, the turtle was placed in a pond adjacent to the interstate and swam away unharmed.

The car's windshield has since been fixed as well.

Tipsy_tortoise

At 1:25 in the video..is that part of the turtle's shell??? Or is it glass. Please tell me its not. If it is that turtle definitely should not have been released like that....:(

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Someone left a comment at the bottom of the article: "Hope they didnt put the turtle IN the pond. its a gopher turtle...land animal it will drown." Oh geez, really? ...C'mon, people... I sure hope the little dude is doing OK still.