Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Five more eggs!

Ok, here's a question for you more experienced tortoise people:

When certain species of tortoises' eggs take so long to hatch, for instance, diapause, why would a female dig a nest in the same spot as she dug a month ago. In nature her first clutch would still be in that spot and she would accidentally dig them up. ??? Or is it because in nature there aren't any walls and she wouldn't use the same spot?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Five more eggs!

Ok, here's a question for you more experienced tortoise people:

When certain species of tortoises' eggs take so long to hatch, for instance, diapause, why would a female dig a nest in the same spot as she dug a month ago. In nature her first clutch would still be in that spot and she would accidentally dig them up. ??? Or is it because in nature there aren't any walls and she wouldn't use the same spot?
You answered your own question. In the wild they'd be somewhere different than where they were a month ago, and also have a LOT more real estate to choose from.

All of my tortoises have favorite nesting sites too. Many females will choose the same spot as other females, and also use their own same spot repeatedly. Keeps me on my toes. I've spent many a cold dark night digging up eggs with freezing hands and a head lamp on because I don't want some other female to dig them up the next day.