Who's enclosure is this?

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407672834.363549.jpg Benny enjoying an explore of his almost completed outdoor enclosure. Three weeks to completion of indoor table!

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
This is exactly what I'm looking for! I'd love to see more pictures, if possible. Thanks!

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

I'm working on it again today to finish up so I will take some more pics for you. Super simple frame with chicken wire. It was repurposed from an old wall unit.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I know that this may be a silly question, but why make the enclosure so high? Seems like the height could easily be level with the enclosed/hide bit, and you would still have the same surface area in contact with the grass/ground. Or, am i totally missing something?

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I'm working on it again today to finish up so I will take some more pics for you. Super simple frame with chicken wire. It was repurposed from an old wall unit.

Thank you so much! Looking forward to it. :)

May, Aussies, & THBs

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I know that this may be a silly question, but why make the enclosure so high? Seems like the height could easily be level with the enclosed/hide bit, and you would still have the same surface area in contact with the grass/ground. Or, am i totally missing something?[/
When I built MY enclosure, some of the reasoning behind the size was because of what size scraps and pieces I was working with. Sometimes when you're building something by hand, it's easier to leave larger pieces as is. Because less cutting is less work.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I know that this may be a silly question, but why make the enclosure so high? Seems like the height could easily be level with the enclosed/hide bit, and you would still have the same surface area in contact with the grass/ground. Or, am i totally missing something?

Valid question, not silly. One might want to put plants in it.

May, Aussies, & THBs

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i was just looking at these myself i plan on building a set of double decker enclosures like this in the next month or two if anyone wants info on it just keep a eye out for a post in enclosure's by me in the next couple month's i plan on including design's and measurements

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Height was mostly convenience. Frame was pre-existing, but I find it convenient since I have had to climb in and out of it several times today.

The large hide is the bottom of an old TV cabinet. The wood frame is just 2x1 planks fitted and screwed together. Entire top opens with two sets of doors. Eye hooks were used to secure these when closed.

Chicken wire is stapled to the frame with a second piece of wood screwed over it to secure it between two pieces and protect anyone from sharp edges.

I grew hay and grass and lots of sedum in Benny's "baby enclosure" from last summer and transferred some to the corners of this enclosure.

The bottom is open to the ground, Benny isn't much of a digger yet, so I haven't fretted yet about sinking posts in, but will add spikes under the perimeter next summer to prevent any escape attempts.

Here are the pics ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407707665.352380.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407707676.134722.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407707685.184573.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407707697.101227.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407707708.034562.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407707716.752214.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407707727.167757.jpg

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
That's awesome! Thanks for the pictures!

May, Aussies, & THBs

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
I'm so excited. This weekend Benny's new table is finally going to be finished and installed at my house. I am so looking forward to setting him up and not worrying about the enclosure blowing apart all the time.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Benny's new table is installed. My hubby is furious cause it's huge and way bigger than I may have suggested :/
I love it therefore! Lol
Anyway setting up and going to be tweaking over the next couple days, but so far this is what we got ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409452253.048392.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409452263.982573.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409452273.614408.jpg My other four paw baby, Bokeh, thinks it was built for him. Immediately pulled his bed under and made himself at home lol.
I will upload more pics as I go, but wanted to share there couple cause I was so excited!
I really hope you guys will share suggestions and ask questions.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409453198.864833.jpg the open light box

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409453216.815817.jpg lids on both sides open as seen and are vented to prevent warping

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409453249.964422.jpg finished product; quite dusty in this pic. That's a window at the front with a 3/4" plexi glass insert

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
May I ask the dimensions of this table? Love it. I also think it would b a great set up to expand as needed, you could easily go out or up with it and give more walking room.
Sorry Amanda that I haven't gotten the measurements for you. Will try to get those tonight

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Sorry Amanda that I haven't gotten the measurements for you. Will try to get those tonight
That's ok. I was mainly interested in the height of it. I am thinking about something similar and have already decided just to use a full sheet of plywood so the length and width really isn't an issue. Just whenever u get time is fine. Thanks!

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
That's ok. I was mainly interested in the height of it. I am thinking about something similar and have already decided just to use a full sheet of plywood so the length and width really isn't an issue. Just whenever u get time is fine. Thanks!
Sorry again. Here ya go:

6'x 3.5' x 15" plus the light box which is an additional 8" high ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410397452.305091.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410397487.071316.jpg
Some pics to give perspective on the size

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Sorry again. Here ya go:

6'x 3.5' x 15" plus the light box which is an additional 8" high View attachment 95407View attachment 95408
Some pics to give perspective on the size
Thank you. That's great. Now that I finally have a couple enclosures for the quads and the leopards I'm pleased with, I wanted to start thinking about one for the Aldabra I am hopefully getting come 1st of year. And I had something in mind that I could add on to instead of having to keep switching out when something bigger would be needed and I came across pics of yours and it would be real easy to add on to the sides or even make like an upstairs to it. Thanks for getting the measurements for me.