Who's the New Guy?

Minority2

Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Hell
Guys I have a baby srilankan star. In order to keep temperature near to 35℃ I have bought a full bandwidth lamp. The online seller mentions this to be having uva and uvb rays. I am not sure if it's the right lamp for my torts. Could someone check the link and let me know if it's good for the little one.

https://www.amazon.in/MagiDeal-Rept...+uvb+light&dpPl=1&dpID=41gkzqx0wRL&ref=plSrch

That looks like a regular halogen bulb. Halogen bulbs do not produce much UV(B).

Metal Halide and Mercury vapor bulbs on the other hand, do produce UV(B). There is no indication showing this bulb (linked product) is anything other than a standard halogen to me.

I wouldn't buy it, not even to use as a designated basking bulb. The heat produced from a halogen bulbs is often too intense for young tortoises.

Here is a good care sheet on Star tortoises:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-star-tortoise.159167/

What is the size of your indoor enclosure? If you intend to use a heat and UV(B) basking bulb, you'll need a larger enclosure because combo bulbs like these produce an intense amount of UV(B) and heat. Smaller enclosures and closed chamber setups will have trouble keeping temperatures at a specific range.

gkg2423

Ambala

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
@Minority2 thankyou for replying.

The enclosure is small but I will get a 4ftx4ft enclosure in couple of days. I am planning to buy a ceramic heater as winters are approaching.

Please check these links and suggest if these are worth buying. Please comment on each if possible.

https://www.amazon.in/MagiDeal-70-1...tile+light&dpPl=1&dpID=31DGSoTPW-L&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.in/Evergreen-Pet..._SY170_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=uvb+reptile+light

And which one you would prefer. Thankyou

Make sure to read the care sheet linked above. A thermostat paired with a ceramic heat emitter or reptile heat panel is often required to get 100/80/80 settings.

The evergreen product is the only one that is actually advertised as a mercury vapor bulb. I find that 100 watts is often too high for a closed chamber/covered setup. I would suggest purchasing a linear florescent bulb and fixture instead.

The other link, the Magideal, is priced way too low to be authentic.

Amazon India's listed prices for pet items are quite high; much higher than what I'm used to. Are these items similarly priced in your local pet store/hardware store?

Try to find another member that lives closer to your region of the world and try to ask to see if they're able to show you places and sites that offer better deals.

gkg2423

Ambala
Make sure to read the care sheet linked above. A thermostat paired with a ceramic heat emitter or reptile heat panel is often required to get 100/80/80 settings.

The evergreen product is the only one that is actually advertised as a mercury vapor bulb. I find that 100 watts is often too high for a closed chamber/covered setup. I would suggest purchasing a linear florescent bulb and fixture instead.

The other link, the Magideal, is priced way too low to be authentic.

Amazon India's listed prices for pet items are quite high; much higher than what I'm used to. Are these items similarly priced in your local pet store/hardware store?

Try to find another member that lives closer to your region of the world and try to ask to see if they're able to show you places and sites that offer better deals.
Thanks again for suggestion. I use an open enclosure. And keep a thermo cum hygrometer to monitor the temp and humidity. As of now I am able to keep these in limits, thanks to rainy season. May be soon as winters arrive, I will have to make necessary arrangements for keeping these in levels.

I have not checked local pet stores for the uv lamps, now i shall search. May be these are not manufactured locally so the prices are high, but i shall buy one if I don't find any other good lamp.

Thanks for your help. Hope you will continue to help like this.