Why adding hermits with your Redfoot may NOT be a goood idea

abclements

5 Year Member
Lol skymall! Maybe they will! Franklin is a giant baby, he sucks into his shell when he's sees a pill bug unfold itself for gosh sakes! So I'm hoping this might toughen him up a little bit!

Ken: this whole post was supposed to make you realize that it's harder than you think... I read this and was like, "Challenge accepted! Bring it on!!" lol

Skymall007

5 Year Member
RE: Why adding hermits with your Redfoot may NOT be a good idea

TortsNTurtles said:
Wow, this is great information. Thank you for hermit crab care sheet. I loved how you stated it is taking on another pet and to consider the needs if the crab if anyone decides to add one to their tortoise enclosure. I had no idea the needs of a hermit crab. I enjoyed the post . Thanks.

I am so glad you liked it =)

Skymall007

5 Year Member
Believe me, once you realize how fun hermits can be they are pretty addicting! I just want to make sure everyone knows that they can be a bit more challenging than many would have us believe. But once everything is set up properly, they are amazing. I love watching the interactions between mine. ahhaa I let them run around my Russian's enclosure one day (only short period since it wasn't humid enough for hermits) and Minster was really confused. He kind of pushed one of the hermit's around, who thought that my tort wanted the piece of popcorn he had. He held onto that popcorn the whole time, found a corner, and munched on that. I must never come between Umo and his popcorn lolz

Cowboy_Ken said:
After all this, I'm half way thinking I should get a pair set up here.

They are beyond fun! When I can't sleep I watch what they are up to. I hear them falling down and banging their shells on the glass all night. Some of them like to reorganize too. You can also keep the little pill bugs with the hermits, they will hunt them sometimes, but seem to really like the baby ones most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hErfBpDqOcs This is friendlyfeat showing some of his amazing climbing skills.

MuseCrazy

Location (City and/or State)
Bowie, Maryland
They really are cool to watch. That's why I hate when people are like "hermit crabs don't do anything" well yeah they do! They just need the right habitat. Here's my escape artist, he's an Ecuadorian, most of what you find at the pet stores are purple pinchers. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396958841.292969.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

abclements

5 Year Member
One more question, how big do they get? I was seeing categories for medium, large and jumbo. Are they different species or are the jumbo ones just older?

MuseCrazy

Bowie, Maryland
Those are just sizes. There's not a lot of info about size in relation to age. Some people have had jumbo crabs shrink after molts. It could be because of injuries or loosing a limb and the stress of having to regrow it that makes them shrink during their molt. But they can get to be the size of a softball, and it's safe to assume those crabs are much older and tougher. There are a lot of different species. Some native to Australia, Indonesia, Japan, even Egypt and only available in those areas.

Skymall007

5 Year Member
There are also lots of different species out there as well you can keep. I keep E hermits (Eucordians or however it is spelled lolz) and PP which as MuseCrazy mentioned are the most common ones seen in the pet store. But you can also have blueberries, strawberries, Indos, Violas, ruggies, Auzzys (which are only available in Australia, though recently they are allowing 10,000 a year to be shipped for five years or something), and I feel like I am forgetting some. Someday I really want blueberries. They are all different colors and some change colors after a molt.

Funny story: One person in the Hermit crab association had a ruggie that went down to molt. When it came up, it was so blue it thought it was a blueberry and so went to try to hang out with the blueberry crabs. The blueberries got really confused by him lolz.

This is a blueberry and a strawberry

This is an E. I took this picture =)

This is one of my E's as well.

This is a Purple P. Notice how different the eyes are from the E?

Those are some of the ones. Color is not always the best indicator of species so you have to look at the eyes and such, but this are very good representations of them. I am bad at identifying the rest so I don't want to give false info.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
RE: Why adding hermits with your Redfoot may NOT be a good idea

Great post, thanks for sharing!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That little dude climbing the wire reminded me of Thing from the Atoms family . Cool little guys .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I will not be keeping any of these dude's . Not because they are not cool but I have a small farm of reptilian friends . And a very understanding wife that shut me down on anymore animals . Ha ha someone had to stop me .

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Why adding hermits with your Redfoot may NOT be a goood idea

mike taylor said:
I will not be keeping any of these dude's . Not because they are not cool but I have a small farm of reptilian friends . And a very understanding wife that shut me down on anymore animals . Ha ha someone had to stop me .

HA-HA!
Its only me in my cave, so I can indulge all I want! Hahahhaha
:D

abclements

5 Year Member
I have 4 more months till I get the ball and chain lol so time to add all the pets I can!

Skymall007

5 Year Member
I am not allowed more crabs until I move out and my boyfriend doesn't want either a snake or tort that weighs more than I do lolz