Why Burmese stars from Asia looks so different from US?

enchilada

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Beach CA
After years of browsing instagram , I noticed CB Burmese stars from Asia looks different from the one in US . Seems the asian ones all have larger center scutes with solid color .
See img below I screenshot from instagram A34D7CB4-AB45-46E0-88E1-E224D09C8B7B.jpeg984AF36C-1BC6-49F0-840C-3D1F0859B8A9.jpeg

Those two below are mine
980D24BA-F3B2-4DF1-A208-96D28E3C0175.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Interesting observation and gorgeous tortoises. None of my babies look like that. I don't have the answer, but my best guess is that they are from a different locality, or perhaps an as yet unnamed subspecies.

In the first photo it looks like they are painted to look like that. Or photoshopped. The second photo looks like it might be similar to the "high" yellow variant we have here.

IMG_6052.jpeg

1. High Yellow Male.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like two different species, doesn't it? I have absolutely NO knowledge about this species, but the babies are pretty darned beautiful!

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
They just look like high yellow variants, very similar to what you see with Radiated Tortoises. That particular locale must have had high yellow Burmese Stars compared to what you normally see. They are beautiful.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
Those super bright photos are filtered/photoshopped or just bad photos. Not saying they dont have more yellow than most, but that the photos are not an authentic representation of the animals.

There is a significantly larger gene pool in asia than in the US, so they have a larger pool to select from for breeding/