Why Deadly Alligator Attacks Seem To Be A Growing Trend

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Yes this is a few months old and I’ve probably posted it already but it’s a clear explanation of the facts.

by Gina Marinex, 8/21/18, Time

The death of Cassandra Cline, a 45-year-old elementary school teacher, who was killed by a 9-foot alligator while protecting her dog on Hilton Head Island Monday made headlines around the world.

Fatal alligator attacks are rare – rare enough that they attract a lot of attention when they happen. But dangerous human-gator interactions are starting to happen more frequently because people are moving deeper into alligators’ habitat, says University of Florida professor Frank Mazzotti.

“People building homes where alligators live have caused the increase in attacks,” Mazzotti, a wildlife expert with the University of Florida’s Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center, tells TIME

Florida, which has the most human-alligator interactions, has recorded 24 deadly alligator attacks since 1948 – but 14 of those have occurred in the last 20 years, according to Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission data. There were an average of about 10 alligator bites a year in the 2010s, compared with an average of eight a year in the 1980s.

The last reported case of a fatal alligator attack in the U.S was in June. Shizuka Matsuki, 47, was last seen walking her two dogs in South Florida before her body was found miles away in a lake in Davie, Florida. Before that, Bonnie Walker, 90, wandered off her senior living center and was killed in an attack in Charleston, South Carolina in 2016.

Despite what seems to be increasing frequency, Mazzotti says attacks are still remarkably rare, considering the number of alligators in southeastern U.S. There are an estimated 100,000 alligators in South Carolina alone.“Alligators do not have an instinct to attack humans,” he says.

In many instances, there are several of factors that contribute to an alligator attack. Mazzotti says he believes a major factor in Cline’s death was her dog, which alligators perceive as food.

“A good comparison would be that a dog is like what a bowl of pasta or chicken is to a human, when an alligator sees a dog they see their next meal,” he says. “When nuisance trappers go into an area with gators they’ll often play a recording of a dog barking and the gators will come and investigate.”

Mazzotti says people need to be aware of their surrounding when they are near water or in areas where they have been alligator sightings.

He adds: “Don’t let your dog run free. Treat your dog like you would treat your child.

But, there’s a caveat. If a person is in the unfortunate situation where an alligator attacks a pet, Mazzotti says it’s best not to get in the alligator’s way.

His recommendation for anyone who does get attacked by an alligator: “Fight like your life depends on it.

“Poke the gator in the eyes and try to ram your hand down its throat,” he advises. “Alligators will often reposition its bite, take advantage of that to get away. Also make yourself appear as big as possible, the bigger you appear, the less likely the gator is to engage.”

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
They used to be really thick in South La before hurricane Katrina hit. We would go crabbing in the warfs and there was a 50/50 chance of catching a crab or a gator. Tourist would always stop to feed or antagonize them and I could see this exact scenario happening. But Katrina took it in hand first..

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I would love to live the the USA but one of the things that scares me the most is the Gators. The one that turned me completely off of even visiting on holiday was the young child at Disney World. I would totally get it if they were in rivers and seas, but they can be in small ponds on golf courses and tiny fishing lakes and that to me is very scary!!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
It’s really sad because these animals are not threatening naturally... it’s just that they are being crowded & antagonized. When tourist feed them, They are taught that we provide food. It is usually people’s stupidity that creates a dangerous situation. I don’t remember the details of the Disney world story and I’m sure their are exceptions to every theory . But wild animals are always going to have wild instincts.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Being from South Florida I grew up around many gators. Most of them want to get away from you as much as you do them. It's usually when people feed them they start to associate people with food and lose their fear of humans when accidents tend to happen.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Or improve as far as the gators are concerned. And I don’t know but all that flooding going on has to help as well.

That was a great article, Ken. Thanks for posting it. Very useful to know the tips the author gives on how to act in the situation, though if I ever found myself in gator’s jaw grip, I don’t know if I’d remember to try and ram my arm down his throat... We have our gators, or bears, in other parts of the globe they have their tigers, or black mambas.... We are taking their habitat from them and many times they have nowhere to go. In Austin area we have a big issue with deer that used to populate the Hill Country, but now, that’s the prime real estate for developers. I know the deer are not frightening like gators or tigers, but it’s the same story, just different actors and location. Btw I never heard about those women killed by gators while walking their dogs or that nursing home resident. That is terrible!!!! What a horrible way to die for and old, confused little lady! In LA Baton Rouge area we once took the kids on one of those “swamp tours” on a little boat. There needs to be be MORE opportunities like that for the public and tourists to be educated about wildlife.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I handle gators for work from time to time. Had one as a pet years ago. They are just another reptile. Not too difficult to outsmart and out maneuver them.

So Tom what do you do with gators? I must say, that whatever your work, if sound fascinating! I would LOVE to hear your stories. I’m sure there are many

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So Tom what do you do with gators? I must say, that whatever your work, if sound fascinating! I would LOVE to hear your stories. I’m sure there are many
I train and handle all animals for film. I'm in Atlanta right now working on a show.

If you ever get grabbed by a gator, priority number one is: DON'T let it roll. No matter what else you do, don't let it roll. Remember that only one part of that gator can hurt you. The mouth. If anyone is around have as many people as possible come sit on the gator and immobilize it. The lead person should push down on the skull and the back people can reach down and lift up the legs. Eventually it will let go and you will be fine as long as it doesn't roll or drag you under water.

It just kills me about that little kid in FL. If someone like me had been there, that boy would still be alive and he'd be wearing alligator skin boots while eating an alligator burger with his family.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Taking a dog for a walk by the water in gator country is just plain crazy. Unless your dog is raised in fear of being eaten it will not approach the water as weary and quietly as a prey animal would. Prey animals drink and leave. A gator attack happens in a blink of an eye and he won’t fight in your element, land. He’ll drag his prey into the water, drown it and if it can’t swallow it whole he’ll stick it into the muddy bottom for a couple of days to “tenderize”. More and more waterfront houses means more contact. When you take out a “nuisance” gator it won’t be long for another to take its place.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I would love to live the the USA but one of the things that scares me the most is the Gators. The one that turned me completely off of even visiting on holiday was the young child at Disney World. I would totally get it if they were in rivers and seas, but they can be in small ponds on golf courses and tiny fishing lakes and that to me is very scary!!
That was one of the things I enjoyed most about living in the UK... I could go right up to the water's edge and not worry about alligators. Then again, those large geese and swans are plenty formidable for us bipeds! :)

I didn't go too close to ponds in the UK once I had dogs, though, because I knew they'd be moving to Florida, and the inland waters are significantly more dangerous here. Many more predators with larger mouths here, and many of them are hard to see when they're submerged.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I train and handle all animals for film. I'm in Atlanta right now working on a show.

If you ever get grabbed by a gator, priority number one is: DON'T let it roll. No matter what else you do, don't let it roll. Remember that only one part of that gator can hurt you. The mouth. If anyone is around have as many people as possible come sit on the gator and immobilize it. The lead person should push down on the skull and the back people can reach down and lift up the legs. Eventually it will let go and you will be fine as long as it doesn't roll or drag you under water.

It just kills me about that little kid in FL. If someone like me had been there, that boy would still be alive and he'd be wearing alligator skin boots while eating an alligator burger with his family.
I know this is slightly off topic, but last night we watched Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom... It has alligators playing the roles of crocodilians more like to be found in Asia. Other animals too. @Tom - I thought of you whenever I saw animals in that movie!

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Back when there was widespread alligator hunting in Florida, most all of the largest and sizeable alligators were culled from the population at the time. Then the alligators became protected and the widespread hinting stopped. Problem was, the alligators that remained after the culling were all about the same size, and they were all growing up at the same time. Instead of a more natural distribution of sizes among the alligator populations, they wound up with a LOT of large, adult alligators at the same time. In the gap between the widespread hunting and when the remaining alligators hit adulthood, there weren't as many sightings or nuisance alligator issues. People got complacent and even fed the smaller alligators.

They're cute when they're little.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know this is slightly off topic, but last night we watched Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom... It has alligators playing the roles of crocodilians more like to be found in Asia. Other animals too. @Tom - I thought of you whenever I saw animals in that movie!
That was way before my time. Alligators are much easier to work with than crocs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
An alligator was found in Lake Michigan yesterday. Some idiot let it go obviously. Maybe humans deserve to get bit for being abusive too them. Okay, at least the idiots that let them go in an area they will surely die a slow painful death.