Why did cooper die

lisa watton

Location (City and/or State)
Southampton
We brought Cooper out of hibernation yday, gave him a luke warm bath placed him in his enclosure with heat lamp on and this morning found him dead, any idea why???

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
First, are you absolutely positively sure that he's dead? There have been several occasions when a "dead" tortoise has revived, sometimes in the nick of time.

Place him in another warm, not hot, soak and make sure the water stays warm. Also, you may have to hold his head above the water so he doesn't drown.

What species of tortoise is he, and do you know how old he is? How did he behave yesterday? Was this his first brumation with you? Had he woke up on his own or did you decide to bring him out of his sleep?

I'm wondering if he was warmed too quickly...what was the temp in his brumation area?

I'm sure others will chime in here, but they will need the answers to these questions.

If Cooper is indeed dead, I'm so very sorry. I know what it's like to find one gone with no definitive cause.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What species and how did you brumate him?
Start from the prep of brumation in the time before was actually brumated to how/where was he kept and what was the temp of where he was held during the brumation

lisa watton

Southampton
First, are you absolutely positively sure that he's dead? There have been several occasions when a "dead" tortoise has revived, sometimes in the nick of time.

Place him in another warm, not hot, soak and make sure the water stays warm. Also, you may have to hold his head above the water so he doesn't drown.

What species of tortoise is he, and do you know how old he is? How did he behave yesterday? Was this his first brumation with you? Had he woke up on his own or did you decide to bring him out of his sleep?

I'm wondering if he was warmed too quickly...what was the temp in his brumation area?

I'm sure others will chime in here, but they will need the answers to these questions.

If Cooper is indeed dead, I'm so very sorry. I know what it's like to find one gone with no definitive cause.

Hi

xxx

I'm sure hs dead

He's a Herman's

lisa watton

Southampton
We stopped feeding them 2 weeks b4 we hibernated them, bathed them, turned off their heat lamp, then packed them away in a large airtight container packed with straw with airholes then placed them in our internal shed

lisa watton

Southampton
Room temp was 21, not sure of internal shed temp, the female is fine and we've hibernated them there for the last 3 years with no problems

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We stopped feeding them 2 weeks b4 we hibernated them, bathed them, turned off their heat lamp, then packed them away in a large airtight container packed with straw with airholes then placed them in our internal shed
They need at least a month of warm temperatures and frequent soaks to empty their gut before going into brumation.

They must be brumated at the correct temperature. If you don't know what the temperature was in the shed, then we can't tell you if that was a factor or not. Seems likely that it was.

They need a good week or two of gradual warming before going back into a full warmed and lit enclosure.

All this and more is explained here. Give it a read and see if you can discover the problem: