Why did you choose Sulcata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkE

5 Year Member
I know this is the total WRONG answer for this question, BUT......Me and my 10yr old son went to the pet store to look, and they had this tortoise (Sulcata) there that was larger than the rest of the stock. I liked it because it had these cool big bumps on its shell (which I now know is "Pyramiding", and not so cool). I knew nothing about how to keep it. So I jumped right in..

I read up on Big Mama (her name), and have turned myself into a proper tortoise owner.. Looking back, the conditions she was kept in were horrible, and I am even thinking it was more of a "rescue" than a standard purchase.. I'll find a picture of the 10 gallon tank she was kept in with little to no substrate, and a heat lamp about 3 inches from her shell....

MarkE

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
I wanted something bigger then what I had plus always wanted one, if I ever got a tortoise. Had to sell my dogs because of the barking all the time and neighbors wanted them gone ASAP. Tortoise's does not bark plus they dont shed hair..lol. I also have a love for reptiles over anyother animals. He is friendly, exotic, good size so far (10"), he is a looker, and makes an awesome family pet. Our sulcata is perfect for this family.

lindsay44

5 Year Member
Ive always heard people saying sulcatas destroy everything in their path but my girl isn't that way. She goes around stuff in her way and hasn't tried to destroy a single thing. I fell for her personality above all else. For me that's the reason for a silly. They are wonderful and some may not agree but my girl is very loving. She comes and cuddles up with me. Not many torts would do that. It's rather funny when she tried to kiss me once. She saw the dogs doing it and copied them. She hasn't tried ever again. I don't think I taste good to her :) she doesn't bite or shy away. She doesn't even kick when I pick her up. She has the Best tortoise personality in the world

Forgot to mention iny other message that she also speaks. My sully is very vocal and voices her thoughts in squeaks grunts and other noises. Love the sullys personalities.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
I have 3 12 week old babies right now, and am definatly going to buy a 4th one tomorow :DDDDD
they are so awesome looking and great tempered, i just love them now, im glad I decided to search for turtles when i did, i wasnt even planning on buying any tortoise, i was just looking for a new companion, because my 11 year old german shephard mix( he looked like an akita which made him look more awesome) had passed away :(, i found a breeder, she showed me the parents and babies, they seemed well taken cared of and i chose 3, and i wasnt sure if i wanted them but now i see they were an awesome choice!!!! lol and I am buying a fourth tomorow, I built them an outside enclosure, they are too small to just let them roam so i bought 2x4's and sheet wood....im glad i chose these tortoises, theyre awesome, especially if you live in cali :), well those are my two cents :)

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I don't care if he get 200 pounds, until I pass he will always have everything he needs. I will say 1 thing, I will be sad when he is to big to be up on the waterbed with me. We always have a good sleep together. But at that time we can just lay on the floor and watch tv and sleep! Smile

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Why-did-you-choose-Sulcata?page=2#ixzz1ckjCwB9h

I can see it now you doze off and your tort proceeds to step on you pinning you down, while he takes a nice sampling bite of some random part of your anatomy. Large torts don't cuddle they crush.:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
MarkE said:
I know this is the total WRONG answer for this question, BUT......Me and my 10yr old son went to the pet store to look, and they had this tortoise (Sulcata) there that was larger than the rest of the stock. I liked it because it had these cool big bumps on its shell (which I now know is "Pyramiding", and not so cool). I knew nothing about how to keep it. So I jumped right in..

I read up on Big Mama (her name), and have turned myself into a proper tortoise owner.. Looking back, the conditions she was kept in were horrible, and I am even thinking it was more of a "rescue" than a standard purchase.. I'll find a picture of the 10 gallon tank she was kept in with little to no substrate, and a heat lamp about 3 inches from her shell....

MarkE

You are not alone Mark...

bfmorris

5 Year Member
I like them because of the way they are put together. They are a real tortoise, like a pine snake is a real snake. And also because when I was a kid, my father (career law enforcement) took me somewhere in southern California that had all kinds of wildlife for sale, including big baboons. At the place they had several of the biggest golden tortoises
I had ever seen. Years later I knew those tortoises were sulcata tortoises.

I think I was imprinted by that experience, and because he always brought home CDT's that Animal Control picked up. We had a yard full of CDT's breeding laying eggs, surfacing babies. We even incubated CDT eggs as kids.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I dunno...when I first got the itch to have a tortoise earlier this year, I was initially looking into redfoots, mainly because their smaller size and more vibrant colors than the more common sulcatas. Plus, the climate here in southern Alabama suits them better.

However, our local herp rescue (which I'm technically a board member of) happened to have a young sulcata available for adoption. I help them out a lot with other stuff and I knew at the time, they were going through some personal stuff and were tight on space. So I expressed interest in it. Long story short, I'm essentially "fostering" little Kobe indefinitely! I mean, he is technically still available for adoption.

He was a little shy at first, and I was still kinda "meh" about having a sulcata since so many people have them. But I was excited about having a tortoise that my little boy (who is only a year younger than Kobe) could eventually ride. But now, he has definitely "come out of his shell" so to speak, and is much more personable. I look forward to seeing him come out of his hide box every morning looking for food.

I guess you could say I kinda happened into owning a sulcata. I probably would never actually buy one, just because there's so many rescues out there. My backyard is fairly large, and I fancy the thought of eventually turning it into a tortoise sanctuary of sorts...but thats just a dream for now. I'm still rather surprised at myself for diving whole hog into the tortoise world after being a die hard "snake guy" for almost 20 years.

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Georgetown/Hutto/Austin,Tx
i have always loved torts and wanted one when i was a child but my mother would have none of it.i fell in love with sullys the minute i caught sight of them:) they are beauties and so much fun to watch each with their own personalities.I didn't choose them they chose me and i will care for every pound till im old and gray :)

9see

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I choose to own a sulcata because one of my friends had one and i ABSOLUTELY fell in love at first sight, literally! I've seen tortoises before, but never seen a sulcata tortoise. I thought they were the most coolest looking and cutest torts ever! Especially when they are babies! I simply became obsessed lol. I got my sulcata Patita when he was a baby 4 years ago and to this day, he makes me so happy! He is so cool! has the cutest personality and i love when he follows me around and eats food from my hand. Having him has been VERY therapeutic for me as well. Just watching him make me truly happy and at peace :)

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
9see said:
I choose to own a sulcata because one of my friends had one and i ABSOLUTELY fell in love at first sight, literally! I've seen tortoises before, but never seen a sulcata tortoise. I thought they were the most coolest looking and cutest torts ever! Especially when they are babies! I simply became obsessed lol. I got my sulcata Patita when he was a baby 4 years ago and to this day, he makes me so happy! He is so cool! has the cutest personality and i love when he follows me around and eats food from my hand. Having him has been VERY therapeutic for me as well. Just watching him make me truly happy and at peace :)

I guess I was the opposite of you. When I saw the big sulcata's I was like wow I would love to own one and that was many years ago...lol. Dont get me wrong the babies are puppy cute but I want ahead start, I guess you could say..lol. I never thought I would retire from all the snakes and monitor lizards and end up buying a tortoise. But with kids, they can pet him without the fear of being biten. More of the relaxing of large reptiles, imo. Well until they become bulldozers..lol

wildponey21

5 Year Member
for me it is how big they get and they are like dogs. i have redfoots but i wanted to get one that get big and will out live

Status
Not open for further replies.