Why do they open their mouth when I spray on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keiraliang

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, TX
When I spray on them, they would open their mouth but their head would go back in the shell half-way.

Are they trying to drink or something else?

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might be a fright response. Does he also hiss at the same time? Maybe you've startled him.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Back when I was following the care sheet I got with my Hermann, and he didn't have any water in his enclosure, he would always open his mouth and face the sprayer, head all the way out, eagerly and confidently, and drink from the sprayer. He still sometimes does that, has to be in the right mood, I guess. I've also observed him drinking the droplets that get trapped on leaves, so they can drink without submerging their whole faces.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
In the Summer mine will sit under the water fall in the stream with the water splashing right on him, and I've seem him open his mouth many times......taking a drink?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Many torts also drink water dripping from their shells. Does he have good access to water and use it once in a while?

keiraliang

5 Year Member
Dallas, TX
Madkins007 said:
Many torts also drink water dripping from their shells. Does he have good access to water and use it once in a while?

Yeah, I have a XL size Ramp water dish for them. It has clean water in it all the time, and they know it. They would go drink there too.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Mine does that too. I thought it was a fear response (still kinda have a feeling it is) but the second the water stops, she's out and about prancing over to get the food that always accompanies her spray down.

Status
Not open for further replies.