Why do you love tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hybrid

5 Year Member
Hello!

I am not sure I post this in the right place, but it is quite a general discussion.

I am a 24 years old male, quite active physically in sport and taking care of my body shape to maintain my masculinity (I hope I don't sound wrong lol) AND at the same time, I LOVE tortoise, very much!

Its my biggest dilemma in answering everyone's question, especially from my female colleague - on why do I love tortoise. Sometime I felt "embarrassed" but actually deep inside, I am proud that I able to see the beauty of this cute little creature in them. Is it my ego that preventing me to justify my affection?

I sure there are someone almost like me out there, so may I know what is your answer toward this question?

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
I'm 22 and the way I told it to my fiancé is that it's a privelage to own such an ancient yet fragile creature that has roamed the earth since the age of the dinosaurs. Though they are slow and may seem boring at times, it's their distinct personalities when they are awake that make them true companions instead of pets.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most people don't understand why others love reptiles in general. I love them all, tortoises, frogs, lizards, snakes, you name it. Most people i know dont understand it. i dont really care if they do or not. Not embarraseed about it either. How could you be embarrassed about loving something? Now, I am not a male, but, from a female point of view, I would think that loving any animal was more masculine then someone who cares more about their looks. Showing you care about something other then yourself is a big plus. Please don't take this the wrong way. I am not directing this at you, i no nothing about you except the little you told us, to be pointing fingers at you. So, flex those muscles and be Proud to show your love for tortoises and any other reptile/animal you love or enjoy. If they don't like it, that's their problem, not yours:)

Homerist

10 Year Member!
there is something in their eyes that captures me.
my 3 and a half year old star just looks at me and i can feel she is communicating with me, not exact informations but some kind of feeling. very smoothing and peaceful. :)

Hybrid

5 Year Member
AustinASU said:
I'm 22 and the way I told it to my fiancé is that it's a privelage to own such an ancient yet fragile creature that has roamed the earth since the age of the dinosaurs. Though they are slow and may seem boring at times, it's their distinct personalities when they are awake that make them true companions instead of pets.
"Slow and boring". Yes thats the exactly what majority said to me! :D

However I do love your idea of "true companion instead of pet". Thank you for sharing that!

wellington said:
Most people don't understand why others love reptiles in general. I love them all, tortoises, frogs, lizards, snakes, you name it. Most people i know dont understand it. i dont really care if they do or not. Not embarraseed about it either. How could you be embarrassed about loving something? Now, I am not a male, but, from a female point of view, I would think that loving any animal was more masculine then someone who cares more about their looks. Showing you care about something other then yourself is a big plus. Please don't take this the wrong way. I am not directing this at you, i no nothing about you except the little you told us, to be pointing fingers at you. So, flex those muscles and be Proud to show your love for tortoises and any other reptile/animal you love or enjoy. If they don't like it, that's their problem, not yours:)

Wow, thank you for your kind opinion. It is a very fair point.

Lucky for me, I do have a understanding fiancee that share the same interest (but not yet ready to pet a tortoise lol) and she did said almost the same thing as your words too.

Thank you again for your sharing :)

PapS

5 Year Member
Syros, Greece
I must be the only one here that didn't understand what muscles have to do with loving tortoises.

But anyway, I love my tortoise because she's a fascinating and cute animal, with the potential to live for many years. I can even have grandchildren and she could meet them...

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
It's funny, because every so often, someone starts a thread here on TFO, wanting to find a justification for why they love keeping tortoises or box turtles. They seem to be worried that others won't understand, or will them they're odd for loving tortoises. It's true that not everyone likes the same things, but I have found that a lot of people in my circle, even if they're not tortoise-keepers themselves, are interested in my hobby and like observing and learning about my pet Russians. There's another point to be made, though. At the end of the day, I think people should pursue what they like. Assuming you're not hurting anyone or anything (obviously), it's good to do what you want to do, whether or not others share your interest.

For me, I think there are three reasons I love tortoises. One is that I love nature and animals in general, and to me tortoises are among the most interesting animals. But why? Well, for one thing, my father brought home a pair of Greek tortoises (Testudo graeca terristris) when I was very small, only about 3, maybe even 2 years old. We only had them a short time (we didn't keep them long, and he gave them to someone else), but I fell in love with them. I still remember what they looked and smelled like, and ever since then, I have loved and kept tortoises and box turtles. Today, I love watching them explore their world, and I especially love watching them eat! :)

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
I see caring for animals -- especially tortoises -- as a sign of a nurturing personality, which most people find very attractive.

The one thing that can be offputting is if a person is using a pet as a substitute for meaningful relationships with humans. But of course none of us here ever do that. ;)

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
Whenever I get questioned about this, I do my best to try to explain it. I've always had an interest in reptiles. I had an armadillo lizard when I was a little younger. But even then I was still more interested in tortoises. Now that I finally have one, I still can't explain what it is about them. I try to explain it to people by sharing info on how they're constructed and neat little things like that. But it's not even really about that. It's about that through most of time they have remained unchanged. That I'm going to have to put Rafiki and her offspring and probably more torts in my will. It's the stuff that you can't explain that creates the love for them. It's passing on this interest to my almost four year old son. It's the little interactions you have with them, the funny things they do to make you laugh. It's all of that stuff. And like thatrebecca said, most of those who love something like this have a very caring, nurturing way about them. And for me it gives me a great pleasure knowing that the things that I do day in and day out for my tort, is appreciated. (and if it's not they'll let you know too :) ) It's also about getting lost in the things you do to care for them. Yesterday I finished building an outdoor enclosure for Rafiki and I have got to say it was one of the more satisfying things I've done for a long time.

Anyways, I'm rambling now. Hybrid, you shouldn't ever have to worry or feel embarrassed about something you are passionate about. If someone can't get over that fact or thinks you're weird or what ever the case may be, it's not you that has the problem. Try to remember that. Explain yourself when you feel necessary, but no one is really going to understand it completely, unless they are involved with something like this. Caring for torts should really have nothing to do with your masculinity. I once dated a girl who's dad is at least 6' 5" tall, rides motorcycles in a bike gang if you want to call it that, is a super intimidating guy to meet and during the day he's a nurse.

Oh and I'm a 23 year old guy too. Forgot about that :D

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I think there's another reason, too. I consider fish and herptiles to be "technical" pets. Husbandry of all animals requires knowledge and skills, but with cold-blooded pets, you have to keep track of not just diet, but also temperature, humidity, pH, etc. I kind of like that aspect to tortoise-keeping. :)

Hybrid

5 Year Member
PapS said:
I must be the only one here that didn't understand what muscles have to do with loving tortoises.

But anyway, I love my tortoise because she's a fascinating and cute animal, with the potential to live for many years. I can even have grandchildren and she could meet them...

Hi PapS,

I am sorry. Maybe I pointed that point wrongly. What I am trying to say that I am physically active IRL, not literally like tortoise. Hence the differences always makes people wonder my interest toward this little fella! :p

rideburton87

5 Year Member
NW burbs, Illinois
Not quite as young as you anymore (25) but I too keep myself in the best "physical quality." I believe that keeping yourself in peek quality: diet and fitness promotes a greater quality of life! Owning a tortoise, a life long pet only promotes that. I love my little guys with the fullest of my heart and does sometimes cause problems with my g/f and I. I get the question a lot "why do you love your torts more than me?" Its not I love them more, but I feel they need my attention more as babies than my g/f does as a 24yr old. They are my companions and will always be there. I love taking care of them and building them enclosures. Going fishing and searching for weeds to feed them. Its just the love and the passion that drives you toward it. Torts are such awesome pets with great personalities!

Hybrid

5 Year Member
GeoTerraTestudo said:
It's funny, because every so often, someone starts a thread here on TFO, wanting to find a justification for why they love keeping tortoises or box turtles. They seem to be worried that others won't understand, or will them they're odd for loving tortoises. It's true that not everyone likes the same things, but I have found that a lot of people in my circle, even if they're not tortoise-keepers themselves, are interested in my hobby and like observing and learning about my pet Russians. There's another point to be made, though. At the end of the day, I think people should pursue what they like. Assuming you're not hurting anyone or anything (obviously), it's good to do what you want to do, whether or not others share your interest.

For me, I think there are three reasons I love tortoises. One is that I love nature and animals in general, and to me tortoises are among the most interesting animals. But why? Well, for one thing, my father brought home a pair of Greek tortoises (Testudo graeca terristris) when I was very small, only about 3, maybe even 2 years old. We only had them a short time (we didn't keep them long, and he gave them to someone else), but I fell in love with them. I still remember what they looked and smelled like, and ever since then, I have loved and kept tortoises and box turtles. Today, I love watching them explore their world, and I especially love watching them eat! :)
Thank you for sharing your story, GeoTerraTestudo!

Its really a gift to meet you guys here. At least I know someone, somewhere understand me without the need to explain it to them. I guess ones have to feel it by themselves then they knew ;)

anm1221

5 Year Member
Maryland
To be honest I wasn't sure at first. (I'm a 19 year old female from Maryland) ever since i was young i just adored the little thing. (well not all are little) actually what sparked my interest was seeing sea turtles. i thought they were really interesting and neat and went on to further my love for the creatures by owning my own turtles and now soon I hope to own a tortoise of my own hopeful. My boyfriend likes to joke about how they flip themselves over and how "weird" they are but he plays with them so i think he's just trying to give me a hard time and really he thinks they're cute too. I don't think there is anything out there cuter than a tortoises little shell and face. I find the creatures both beautiful and magnificent. they're like a part of time that stands still and I find that fascinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.