Why does my leopard tortoise keeps trying to get out of the same corner?

Joseph Flores

Location (City and/or State)
MERCEDES, TX
I just got my tortoise today and he has the right temperatures, humidity, and food. He also has a basking light that also produces UVA lighting and he keeps trying to climb the same corner everytime. He has ate already and drank lots of water and his health is good. Any help?

15800003112963158722038234367366.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please read this thread:

Your enclosure is much too open. Try to figure out a way to cover it. Then add another hiding place and a couple more plants.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Is this good enough?
The entire enclosure needs to be covered to limit ventilation as much as possible and create a closed chamber. You’re aiming for 80-100% humidity, which is practically impossible with an open top. I would recommend going out and buying a 50 gallon sterilite bin from Walmart (20$) or a Christmas tree tub if you can find one, and setting it up in there. Just cut holes in the lid for heating, and line them with foil.

Be sure to read the link Yvonne sent :)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
What substrate are you using? If it has white bits in it, it needs to be replaced with fine grade orchid bark, cypress mulch, or coconut coir.

Joseph Flores

MERCEDES, TX
The entire enclosure needs to be covered to limit ventilation as much as possible and create a closed chamber. You’re aiming for 80-100% humidity, which is practically impossible with an open top. I would recommend going out and buying a 50 gallon sterilite bin from Walmart (20$) or a Christmas tree tub if you can find one, and setting it up in there. Just cut holes in the lid for heating, and line them with foil.

Be sure to read the link Yvonne sent :)
Dont leopard tortoises only do good in humidity from 40 to 60 percent tho?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Dont leopard tortoises only do good in humidity from 40 to 60 percent tho?
No, though this is what people thought a decade ago. These tortoises are born during monsoon season in Africa, and spend their time under heavy plant cover and at the bottom of warm, humid burrows. It is deadly for hatchlings to be kept dry, and usually how they end up passing when young.

I highly recommend reading through these threads, and changing your substrate since it contains elements toxic to your tortoise/
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Joseph Flores

MERCEDES, TX
No, though this is what people thought a decade ago. These tortoises are born during monsoon season in Africa, and spend their time under heavy plant cover and at the bottom of warm, humid burrows. It is deadly for hatchlings to be kept dry, and usually how they end up passing when young.

I highly recommend reading through these threads, and changing your substrate since it contains elements toxic to your tortoise/
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/How-To-Raise-A-Healthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
I do know that the fertilizer is organic and I've read some things on this page that organic fertilizers is fine and won't do no harm unless it has chemical stuff added to it.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I do know that the fertilizer is organic and I've read some things on this page that organic fertilizers is fine and won't do no harm unless it has chemical stuff added to it.
It is seed starter soil, correct? That is not organic, and since it has the white bits in it, it is an impaction risk. In addition, soils turn to mud when wet, and are not suitable for young tortoises that require damp substrate and high humidity. Fertilizer being organic does not mean it is tortoise safe.Your substrate needs to be changed to fine grade orchid bark, cypress mulch, or coconut coir :)

Joseph Flores

MERCEDES, TX
It is seed starter soil, correct? That is not organic, and since it has the white bits in it, it is an impaction risk. In addition, soils turn to mud when wet, and are not suitable for young tortoises that require damp substrate and high humidity. Fertilizer being organic does not mean it is tortoise safe.Your substrate needs to be changed to fine grade orchid bark, cypress mulch, or coconut coir :)
This is the brand I ised
Screenshot_20200125-205303_YouTube.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
This is the brand I ised
Yes, it is not safe. Soil is not a suitable substrate for young tortoises, and if using it for other tortoises, it is important to get sterilized, organic topsoil that has nothing added. However, again, it is still not recommended because it turns to mud when wet. Please switch it out for any of the options stated above.