Why does my Tort climb the walls of his enclosure?

Herman_WA

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Ever since I got him he has been trying to climb the walls of his enclosure and usually ends up on his back. I have done a bit if research and what I have found is that he is just bored. Is this true? If so how can I stop it?

If being bored is not the case, please give me some advice on how to get him to stop. There has been a few times where he has had his neck pressed straight up against the wall and I'm worried he's going to hurt his neck.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Depending on the species they are escape artists and looking for the weak escape route. I would have a good look at the layout temps, light, water, hides and depth of substrate to check if there are any improvements. Some like to burrow do deep substrate is beneficial. Have hides so they can escape the light. There are care sheets on here so have a read. Also if you want you can share picture of tortoise and enclosure for critique and advise.

Herman_WA

Washington
Depending on the species they are escape artists and looking for the weak escape route. I would have a good look at the layout temps, light, water, hides and depth of substrate to check if there are any improvements. Some like to burrow do deep substrate is beneficial. Have hides so they can escape the light. There are care sheets on here so have a read. Also if you want you can share picture of tortoise and enclosure for critique and advise.
Ok. He is a Hermann. Don't know age.
Here is his enclosure.
Might switch out his water tray....20201119_102758.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ever since I got him he has been trying to climb the walls of his enclosure and usually ends up on his back. I have done a bit if research and what I have found is that he is just bored. Is this true? If so how can I stop it?

If being bored is not the case, please give me some advice on how to get him to stop. There has been a few times where he has had his neck pressed straight up against the wall and I'm worried he's going to hurt his neck.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!
3x2 is way too small. That is part of the problem.

Tortoises do not like being moved form their home territory. Your tortoise is persistently trying to find the way home. In time, the new place will feel like "home".

Those clamps on your lamp always fail. Hand your lamps from overhead instead.

What type of bulbs are you using? CFL for UV?

What are you using for substrate and is it damp?

What are your four temps: Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?

Herman_WA

Washington
About his cage size, when I got him from a pet store, his cage was 2× smaller then than it is now, and he was content there. I don't think the cage is the problem.

As for lights, CFL or UV? I'm using UV.
As for hanging it from overhead, I'll see what I can do.
I'm not sure what the correct Temps are for Hermanns, so if you tell me I will adjust the temps where it needs it.
I have been keeping my substrate damp. As of tomorrow I'm switching my substrate from Zoo Med bricks to Exo Terra Coco Husks.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My opinion is your enclosure is way too bare and open. He's probably not comfortable. Try adding some plants and sight barriers. Give him more cover and places to hide.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
About his cage size, when I got him from a pet store, his cage was 2× smaller then than it is now, and he was content there. I don't think the cage is the problem.

As for lights, CFL or UV? I'm using UV.
As for hanging it from overhead, I'll see what I can do.
I'm not sure what the correct Temps are for Hermanns, so if you tell me I will adjust the temps where it needs it.
I have been keeping my substrate damp. As of tomorrow I'm switching my substrate from Zoo Med bricks to Exo Terra Coco Husks.
Tom is a fantastic source of expert information here, so please heed what he says, OK? No offense and thank you for coming here for help! And did you hear the tortoise tell you that he was "content" at the pet shop in a cage so tiny? I don't think so! Sounds more like he was inured to his restricted and miserable life there before you got him!
Again, everything Tom tells you or asks you is all for the good of your little tort!
There are many very, very good tortoise people on here. Take advantage of it.

Herman_WA

Washington
My opinion is your enclosure is way too bare and open. He's probably not comfortable. Try adding some plants and sight barriers. Give him more cover and places to hide.
Would you have any plants or objects to recommend?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Would you have any plants or objects to recommend?
I like Pothos, Boston fern, or spider plants. All those are really easy to care for and grow indoors. You'll want to keep them in pots so your tort doesn't destroy them. I also like finding broken tree branches and adding them to my enclosures for sight barriers. You could even throw in a pile of dead leaves from your yard in one area of the enclosure for your tort to hide in. Just make sure they aren't from anything that wouldn't be safe for your tort to eat in case it does. In my experience though they don't tend to bother with dry dead leaves.

Herman_WA

Washington
I like Pothos, Boston fern, or spider plants. All those are really easy to care for and grow indoors. You'll want to keep them in pots so your tort doesn't destroy them. I also like finding broken tree branches and adding them to my enclosures for sight barriers. You could even throw in a pile of dead leaves from your yard in one area of the enclosure for your tort to hide in. Just make sure they aren't from anything that wouldn't be safe for your tort to eat in case it does. In my experience though they don't tend to bother with dry dead leaves.
Thank you so much! I will see what I can add! ;)

Herman_WA

Washington
Would anyone know if I could put a "wandering jew" in his pen?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Would anyone know if I could put a "wandering jew" in his pen?
It should be fine. I know some people who feed wandering jew leaves to their tortoises and/or grow them in their enclosures so the tortoises can nibble on them.

Brap

RI
Hello
I have a baby Western Herman. He’s a one and a half inch long climber. He’s in a wood enclosure. I found him upside down twice, trying to climb the wall so I installed 6”x12”, 7.5ml mylar around the inside of his pen with DIYMAG Neodymium magnets inside the enclosure and out to hold the mylar. There’s no glue or screws. It’s easy to remove and clean if need be. At least you can protect him from himself until you figure out what he likes and when he’ll stop climbing the walls. But then, haven’t we all been there at one time or another.
EA4B9C39-088F-4A07-873A-8F23B08D2B96.jpeg52D9729B-FB5A-4056-95C3-5744394D6E5A.jpeg791D793B-C714-4815-94E0-33BDECE5F543.jpeg