Why does my tortoise keep sleeping and is inactive?

Why is he doing this?

• Tired

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Doing something wrong

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

MaxisMYtortoise

Location (City and/or State)
England
Look for a spotlight with UVB. UVB is the part of the light, or spectrum, that has all the good stuff that they, and we humans, need. Vitamin D and lots of other stuff for good health and shell development. Here’s an example from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XFKH7HC/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

NOTE: Do NOT buy this brand. Burned out within 2 weeks. They are all pretty pricey in my opinion and you’ll need several every year. Don’t fret. Keep reading.

Since my tort spends her days outside, I do not run a special bulb. I have a 100 watt spotlight in her indoor tank for warmth. It’s about 12-15 inches above her favorite basking light. These are not as expensive as those UVB bulbs so if you can spend a half hour a day or so outside with him, he’ll be just fine. If you miss a day or two, don’t worry. He won’t drop dead.

NEVER take your eyes off him while outside. They can teleport! In the blink of an eye, they can be on the other side of the yard and into mischief!

Best wishes!
And I live in the UK so the weather is getting colder, any advice?

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
I know Komodo is a good brand but do you this these are a trusted brand and/or has good UVB lights. https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/komodo-...yPPQ_rPhms2h7gh7cGkaAsuDEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Many thanks, Max and his owner. =]

I don’t personally know this brand, but read those reviews. One positive one very negative. Note the low price. This is a UVA only bulb. If it was a UVB, it would be much more expensive. That Komodo would work for heat but would not replicate the benefits of real sunlight. That’s what you’re trying to do. That’s the UVB. Britain is much colder and wetter than the desert outside Las Vegas where we live. Be sure to read all the care sheets posted in this forum. There are many, many different kinds of torts so you want to learn about your specific shell baby.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I don’t personally know this brand, but read those reviews. One positive one very negative. Note the low price. This is a UVA only bulb. If it was a UVB, it would be much more expensive. That Komodo would work for heat but would not replicate the benefits of real sunlight. That’s what you’re trying to do. That’s the UVB. Britain is much colder and wetter than the desert outside Las Vegas where we live. Be sure to read all the care sheets posted in this forum. There are many, many different kinds of torts so you want to learn about your specific shell baby.

The reviews for that basking bulb on Amazon UK are terrible! They seem to last a month and then blow!

As DesertGirl says, this bulb doesn’t emit UVB so you will still need a separate basking bulb - the tube variety not the small compact bulbs that hurt tortoise eyes.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
And I live in the UK so the weather is getting colder, any advice?

I am in the UK too. The weather is starting to cool after our glorious summer. Whereabouts are you (a county is close enough for me to work with)?

The key to coping as the days shorten is to may sure the lighting is bright and to make sure the change in temperature outside doesn’t affect temperatures in the enclosure - particularly overnight.

If your tort gets too cold overnight then it will take too long to warm up and get going in the mornings. Torts do seem to be aware of changing light levels even when they are kept indoors. You may need an extra light to make things brighter - just an ordinary fluorescent or LED lamp would do it without affecting temperatures.

Use timers on your lights to keep them on for 12-14 hours a day as you are trying to pretend it is still summer!

At night you may also need a Ceramic Heat Emitter. A CHE gives off heat without light and must be used with a thermostat. You can leave it running 24/7 as the thermostat ensures that it only cuts in when temperatures dip below the set level.

MaxisMYtortoise

England
UPDATE!
1)Cleaned out Max's enclosure by my self. Took me like 1 hour on the tank itself and like 30 minutes on his rocks. -3- No one helped me and it took ages so I feel mentally and physically tired. Plus I took out his light until I can find a better one (hopefully soon) and I keep asking my mum when she get paid but she doesn't tell me or I'm too quiet. I need her to buy it since it is a necessary but she is too busy rather talking to her boyfriend in real life or on the phone. -3-

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

MaxisMYtortoise

England

MaxisMYtortoise

England
The reviews for that basking bulb on Amazon UK are terrible! They seem to last a month and then blow!

As DesertGirl says, this bulb doesn’t emit UVB so you will still need a separate basking bulb - the tube variety not the small compact bulbs that hurt tortoise eyes.
I found this cheap bulb but with good reviews and I am in desperate need of a basking light. I don't know is it worth it?

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Know any good ones with ceramic and a night one?

I'm not sure what's available in the UK, but you want one with a socket made of ceramic, like this:

iu

That will withstand the high heat from the bulbs and won't melt under prolonged use.

MaxisMYtortoise

England
The Petsathome one has really bad ratings but the Amazon one looks good. If I get the Amazon one I'll have to get both bulbs and a stand though. Which is a bit pricey. Any advice on how to earn money? Plus school is starting next week :I .

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
The Petsathome one has really bad ratings but the Amazon one looks good. If I get the Amazon one I'll have to get both bulbs and a stand though. Which is a bit pricey. Any advice on how to earn money? Plus school is starting next week :I .

For a 13 y/o girl, my advice is to not worry about earning money right now and just focus on school. That's what I told my kids anyway. If they needed to raise money for something they wanted, I paid them to do extra stuff around the house, or the neighbors invited them to babysit. Enclosures can be relatively fun, easy, and cheap to construct. No sense in buying an expensive one off-the-shelf. See if someone can help you build one. As far as lights and other accessories... I get some really good deals from folks selling them on CraigsList from time to time. I bought another CHE from someone last week and only paid $5 for it. Works fine.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell

I was never given any allowances when I was younger. I used to work unofficially at my local fish/reptile pet store as a child. My grandmother, a retired seamstress, used to be the local babysitter of the neighborhood we lived in so there was no money to made there. I've found that many local brick and mortar businesses would appreciate and gladly hire local part-time help for a fixed wage. You gain experience, knowledge, and references for any future job searches.