Why does my tortoise keep sleeping and is inactive?

Why is he doing this?

• Tired

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Doing something wrong

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

MaxisMYtortoise

Location (City and/or State)
England
For a 13 y/o girl, my advice is to not worry about earning money right now and just focus on school. That's what I told my kids anyway. If they needed to raise money for something they wanted, I paid them to do extra stuff around the house, or the neighbors invited them to babysit. Enclosures can be relatively fun, easy, and cheap to construct. No sense in buying an expensive one off-the-shelf. See if someone can help you build one. As far as lights and other accessories... I get some really good deals from folks selling them on CraigsList from time to time. I bought another CHE from someone last week and only paid $5 for it. Works fine.
As a starter job do you recommend working weekends? I know the maximum hours I can work are 2 hours on weekends and Sundays and 5 hours on weekends. I was wondering about pet sitting but I'd have to ask people I know (obviously) I might ask my grandma one day if she needed help when she is out because she has a Jack Russel. I get £2 when I walk my grandma's dog. Maybe I'll get £5 or £10 if I look after her for about 4-5 hours? I was thinking about working in the local shops but I'm pretty unsocial and quite bad at cleaning. But I can learn. I always wanted a job when I turned 13 and I don't know why. It just seems fun. Also if I start saving early I can afford my dream house heh. Saving is hard for me but I'm trying to be more mature for my age so I don't end up doing something stupid later on, like start drugs. Sorry for this long message I just want to prove to my family that I can be mature. It is hard with hormones because some days I kick off and cry. Which I know is unacceptable. So my choices: Pet sit or work at a local shop. Unless I can work at a local pet shop! THAT WILL BE FANTASTIC. I would love to work at Petsathome! I might even get a staff discount! :O This will be amazing. I'm so excited to start working. Plus it will look good on my future college applications and job applications.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
As a starter job do you recommend working weekends? I know the maximum hours I can work are 2 hours on weekends and Sundays and 5 hours on weekends. I was wondering about pet sitting but I'd have to ask people I know (obviously) I might ask my grandma one day if she needed help when she is out because she has a Jack Russel. I get £2 when I walk my grandma's dog. Maybe I'll get £5 or £10 if I look after her for about 4-5 hours? I was thinking about working in the local shops but I'm pretty unsocial and quite bad at cleaning. But I can learn. I always wanted a job when I turned 13 and I don't know why. It just seems fun. Also if I start saving early I can afford my dream house heh. Saving is hard for me but I'm trying to be more mature for my age so I don't end up doing something stupid later on, like start drugs. Sorry for this long message I just want to prove to my family that I can be mature. It is hard with hormones because some days I kick off and cry. Which I know is unacceptable. So my choices: Pet sit or work at a local shop. Unless I can work at a local pet shop! THAT WILL BE FANTASTIC. I would love to work at Petsathome! I might even get a staff discount! :O This will be amazing. I'm so excited to start working. Plus it will look good on my future college applications and job applications.
Is it legal where you are to work at a shop? Where I am in the US, you can't get a job in a shop until you are 16 and then you need the consent of your school. However, working for people in your neighborhood is fine. Pet sitting is a great idea. I got a mailer from a local girl who is offering pet sitting. You could go door to door handing them out so people will know who you are.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Is it legal where you are to work at a shop? Where I am in the US, you can't get a job in a shop until you are 16 and then you need the consent of your school. However, working for people in your neighborhood is fine. Pet sitting is a great idea. I got a mailer from a local girl who is offering pet sitting. You could go door to door handing them out so people will know who you are.

No I wasn't legal, hence the fixed wage remark. I grew in California (Millennial) and managed to work in various establishments without needing such consent. It really depends on who you know and how you well you network with others.

The key is balance. To not overexert yourself. Keep up with your grades in school and find a part-time job that you can handle with relative ease.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH

Well, I'm excited that you're excited. I worked a paper route after school and on weekends when I was 9. Did that for 2 years. Really taught me responsibility, customer service, and budgeting. Sucked in the winter though having to peddle papers over a 6 mile route on foot through a foot of snow or more.

MaxisMYtortoise

England
Great idea! I think you do have to be 16 though. I can try and go around my neighbourhood and ask but I'm still quite shy. So I will have to get my courage up!
No I wasn't legal, hence the fixed wage remark. I grew in California (Millennial) and managed to work in various establishments without needing such consent. It really depends on who you know and how you well you network with others.

The key is balance. To not overexert yourself. Keep up with your grades in school and find a part-time job that you can handle with relative ease.
I will try to keep my grades good but I find school so stressful. I once asked my mum could I go to an online school which would be best for me since I get so stressed in public school but she said no. I got quite upset because my current school has a lot of bad vibes and toxic people there. =[
Well, I'm excited that you're excited. I worked a paper route after school and on weekends when I was 9. Did that for 2 years. Really taught me responsibility, customer service, and budgeting. Sucked in the winter though having to peddle papers over a 6 mile route on foot through a foot of snow or more.
People suggested paper route but I can't ride a bike. I've always been too scared and I know I sound cowardly but the height just scares me (I'm small) and the practice to ride one is equally as scary.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Great idea! I think you do have to be 16 though. I can try and go around my neighbourhood and ask but I'm still quite shy. So I will have to get my courage up!

I will try to keep my grades good but I find school so stressful. I once asked my mum could I go to an online school which would be best for me since I get so stressed in public school but she said no. I got quite upset because my current school has a lot of bad vibes and toxic people there. =[

People suggested paper route but I can't ride a bike. I've always been too scared and I know I sound cowardly but the height just scares me (I'm small) and the practice to ride one is equally as scary.
It is important to go to school for the socialization. You can't live your entire life online. You have to be out in the world and learn how to deal with people. Nearly everyone gets stressed by school.

If you go around the neighborhood, ask your mom to come with you. Print up something that tells what you will do so you don't have to remember everything. If you tell people you are trying to earn money so you can take care of your tortoise, I think they will respond favorably to that if they have animals.

MaxisMYtortoise

England
It is important to go to school for the socialization. You can't live your entire life online. You have to be out in the world and learn how to deal with people. Nearly everyone gets stressed by school.

If you go around the neighborhood, ask your mom to come with you. Print up something that tells what you will do so you don't have to remember everything. If you tell people you are trying to earn money so you can take care of your tortoise, I think they will respond favorably to that if they have animals.
I do sometimes socialize. If I do pet sitting I will be socializing. The reason why I dislike school so much is that I had negative experiences for the past two years I've been there. I'm going into year 9 (8th grade) and I've been so just argh! I now socializing is a key part of life but I've already screwed it up. I used to spend the last 2 or so years of primary school staying home on the laptop and making excuses to not join my ex-friends. I had and probably still have an addiction. I've done research into homeschooling. The good, the bad, the prices, the experience of others. The key factor for me is the freedom of working at your own speed. I've recently found it intimidating of others who are smarter. I even use Gramar.ly for my grammar... Who does that!?! Sometimes I feel so dumb. For the 2 years, I was at my high school, I had low esteem. I heard getting more friends will help you socialize. Well not for me. Year 8 (grade 7) I started being more weird and open... So, me hehe. I made some friends yet I never felt really happy. Even the girl who I told everything to. I felt like she was slowly nudging me out of her life. Sometimes I talk to childline for my problems... I even have insecurities that they will chat about me being weird or disturbing. And they are professionals! The first year of my high school I got bullied quite badly. Sometimes I feel like I have got depression (I know it's common and to stop feeling sorry for myself) I used to love acting... Until one day. My first time performing live in about 5 or so years. I felt so nervous to do it and I was stuttering until the filmed show and the actual show. It just wasn't the magic I always thought it would be. Then I realized I was looking after Max wrong. Which made me cry alone a few times (don't ask) I just felt so guilty. Then with school coming around affected my (already bad) sleeping cycle. Everyone says "Enjoy being a child" but enjoying it is hard. I am much happier at home than at school. Also, people at school say mean things (like all kids/teens do.) Once I heard someone say "Double concentration" to his friend. I had the gut feeling they were talking about me as I have an eye that is slightly off (just by a bit but I'm still self-conscious) I know explaining my current life isn't going to change the things in the past, but I hope this explains a little about me.

MaxisMYtortoise

England
Update: On the acting part. I just got accepted into an acting workshop I applied for ages ago... Oh my gosh what am I going to do? I do like everything to do with acting apart from the performing live shows. But this is good social skills so...?

MaxisMYtortoise

England
I do sometimes socialize. If I do pet sitting I will be socializing. The reason why I dislike school so much is that I had negative experiences for the past two years I've been there. I'm going into year 9 (8th grade) and I've been so just argh! I now socializing is a key part of life but I've already screwed it up. I used to spend the last 2 or so years of primary school staying home on the laptop and making excuses to not join my ex-friends. I had and probably still have an addiction. I've done research into homeschooling. The good, the bad, the prices, the experience of others. The key factor for me is the freedom of working at your own speed. I've recently found it intimidating of others who are smarter. I even use Gramar.ly for my grammar... Who does that!?! Sometimes I feel so dumb. For the 2 years, I was at my high school, I had low esteem. I heard getting more friends will help you socialize. Well not for me. Year 8 (grade 7) I started being more weird and open... So, me hehe. I made some friends yet I never felt really happy. Even the girl who I told everything to. I felt like she was slowly nudging me out of her life. Sometimes I talk to childline for my problems... I even have insecurities that they will chat about me being weird or disturbing. And they are professionals! The first year of my high school I got bullied quite badly. Sometimes I feel like I have got depression (I know it's common and to stop feeling sorry for myself) I used to love acting... Until one day. My first time performing live in about 5 or so years. I felt so nervous to do it and I was stuttering until the filmed show and the actual show. It just wasn't the magic I always thought it would be. Then I realized I was looking after Max wrong. Which made me cry alone a few times (don't ask) I just felt so guilty. Then with school coming around affected my (already bad) sleeping cycle. Everyone says "Enjoy being a child" but enjoying it is hard. I am much happier at home than at school. Also, people at school say mean things (like all kids/teens do.) Once I heard someone say "Double concentration" to his friend. I had the gut feeling they were talking about me as I have an eye that is slightly off (just by a bit but I'm still self-conscious) I know explaining my current life isn't going to change the things in the past, but I hope this explains a little about me.
I do love acting, just the performing I'm not a big fan of being of social anxiety.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I even use Gramar.ly for my grammar... Who does that!?! .

Many students use grammar correction programs in college. It's a common and helpful tool for school and work.

Bullying is a serious issue, one that many schools in America have attempted to stop and change in recent years. Bullying cause physical and emotion trauma. These negative effects can change how a person develops. While it is hard to catch the majority, the people that do get caught are usually severely punished such as being expelled from their schools and shamed on social media.

How is the anti-bullying policies in the United Kingdom? You should get your parents and the school involved if it indeed serious.

Your self confidence issues may require more help if you unable to find the support you seek from family, relatives, friends, and or teachers. Therapy, physical sports, extracurricular activities, positive social clubs, and hobbies are several options you can into.

MaxisMYtortoise

England
Many students use grammar correction programs in college. It's a common and helpful tool for school and work.

Bullying is a serious issue, one that many schools in America have attempted to stop and change in recent years. Bullying cause physical and emotion trauma. These negative effects can change how a person develops. While it is hard to catch the majority, the people that do get caught are usually severely punished such as being expelled from their schools and shamed on social media.

How is the anti-bullying policies in the United Kingdom? You should get your parents and the school involved if it indeed serious.

Your self confidence issues may require more help if you unable to find the support you seek from family, relatives, friends, and or teachers. Therapy, physical sports, extracurricular activities, positive social clubs, and hobbies are several options you can into.

I will call the "Therapy girl" T and the other girl B (The first letter of their names)
I can't speak for all of the UK. But the sad truth about my school is: I told them, nothing happened. I know stopping someone from bullying is hard but I told the school plenty of times with my sister and nothing happened. Literally saw hardly any improvements. Some might even say worse after a new girl came into the school. I did get this off-putting vibe about her but I can't judge a book on its covers, right? WRONG. B didn't speak to me much. Once embarrassed me in front of my old crush. AND I saw her and her friends once looking in a window when I was with T, I was talking to a teacher about my emotions. What topped the cake was the T and B started to be friends. I know I shouldn't get jealous but she was quite rude to me! I think I got a bit jealous of her looks though. =[ Once she did silently look at me, up and down. Which was unsettling.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I do love acting, just the performing I'm not a big fan of being of social anxiety.
some people find it easier to get in front of people when they are acting, because they aren't being themselves. Most people get very anxious when they have to perform in front of others. The more you do it, the less anxious it will make you feel.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I will call the "Therapy girl" T and the other girl B (The first letter of their names)
I can't speak for all of the UK. But the sad truth about my school is: I told them, nothing happened. I know stopping someone from bullying is hard but I told the school plenty of times with my sister and nothing happened. Literally saw hardly any improvements. Some might even say worse after a new girl came into the school. I did get this off-putting vibe about her but I can't judge a book on its covers, right? WRONG. B didn't speak to me much. Once embarrassed me in front of my old crush. AND I saw her and her friends once looking in a window when I was with T, I was talking to a teacher about my emotions. What topped the cake was the T and B started to be friends. I know I shouldn't get jealous but she was quite rude to me! I think I got a bit jealous of her looks though. =[ Once she did silently look at me, up and down. Which was unsettling.
You are the age that was the most difficult for me. Remind yourself it isn't forever. Things will get better.

Tortface

Milwaukee
Where are you located? We may be able to recommend a vet
My RT’s are outside every other day several hrs in summer, but i need to purchase a uvb light for them. Are there different wattages, or. What is recommended?

Tortface

Milwaukee
My RT’s are outside every other day several hrs in summer, but i need to purchase a uvb light for them. Are there different wattages, or. What is recommended?
Ok , i am having trouble posting, navigating on this site...i apologize if im all over the place and not writing where i should be...I’ll get better..hopefully!