why does russian tortoises need uvb/uva light/bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

russian tortoise boy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Las Vegas Nevada
i bought a russian tortoise about a month ago and a little while i was searching about tort needs and i saw russian tortoises uva/b bulb and realized that my tort doesn't have that bulb for a month!

so im planning to buy a uv bulb for her in a local pet store and im worried because my fluker's lamp is only 150 watts and the 1st bulb is 160 watts so will it burn my lamp?and the 2nd bulb is only 100 watts will it be enough? \what bulb is better?

1st bulb : http://www.petco.com/product/119456/Zoo-Med-PowerSun-UV-Lamp.aspx?CoreCat=TurtleHPLighting

2nd bulb : http://www.petco.com/product/12129/Zoo-Med-Powersun-UV-Self-Ballasted-Mercury-Vapor-UVB-Lamp.aspx

and what does self-ballasted means? and what does dimmer do?

or is it okay for me to just open my window and let the sunlight go inside my room (where my tort is placed) everyday.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Options:
*a tube UVB fluorescent bulb along the long end of the enclosure AND a basking light at one end.

*a single light/heat source: MVB for UV and warmth. They are self ballasted which has do to with how they generate heat/light. The point is that they cannot be used with a dimmer like a CHE.
They need a fixture with a ceramic base.
If your Fluker's fixture has a ceramic base, then you can get the 100w.

Some tort owners use regular house bulbs over the winter, relying on their torts being exposed to the sun for several months over the Summer.

What do you have now?

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
The sunlight that comes in the window will be filtered of most valuable UV by the glass and screen. Plus the short duration when the sun will shine just perfectly in there will not be enough to help your tort. The UV allows your tortoise to process vitamins and minerals in the food he eats, without it he will have many health problems in the future -because the nutrition he eats is being lost. A good UV bulb is the way to go if you can't have him outside for a few hours a day.
Good Luck,
--Jeff

russian tortoise boy

5 Year Member
North Las Vegas Nevada
lynnedit said:
Options:
*a tube UVB fluorescent bulb along the long end of the enclosure AND a basking light at one end.

*a single light/heat source: MVB for UV and warmth. They are self ballasted which has do to with how they generate heat/light. The point is that they cannot be used with a dimmer like a CHE.
They need a fixture with a ceramic base.
If your Fluker's fixture has a ceramic base, then you can get the 100w.

Some tort owners use regular house bulbs over the winter, relying on their torts being exposed to the sun for several months over the Summer.

What do you have now?
i only have the normal basking bulb and about sunlight i think she gets that everyday cause i open my window and sunlight comes through

Holycow said:
The sunlight that comes in the window will be filtered of most valuable UV by the glass and screen. Plus the short duration when the sun will shine just perfectly in there will not be enough to help your tort. The UV allows your tortoise to process vitamins and minerals in the food he eats, without it he will have many health problems in the future -because the nutrition he eats is being lost. A good UV bulb is the way to go if you can't have him outside for a few hours a day.
Good Luck,
--Jeff
okay, i can't put her outside now because its kinda cold right now in my place

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You should have an outdoor enclosure for your tortoise in addition to your indoor one. If you do this and put your tortoise outside for some real sunshine at least a couple of times a week, you won't need any artificial indoor UV.

What wattage bulb you need will depend upon how big your enclosure is, how cold the room is, how close the bulb is to the tortoise, etc. 150 sounds like an awful lot and so does 160, but your thermometer will verify that for you one way or the other.

Sunshine through a window does not give your tortoise any UV. You also have to be very careful that you don't over heat him. They can cook indoors with sunshine shining into a glass box or plastic tub.

If you do decide to buy one, you can get the Powersun much cheaper than that online. Usually around $40. You cannot use a dimmer with mercury vapor bulbs. Self ballasted means that your just screw it in and it works, as opposed to a florescent fixture and bulb which has an external ballast.

russian tortoise boy

5 Year Member
North Las Vegas Nevada
Tom said:
You should have an outdoor enclosure for your tortoise in addition to your indoor one. If you do this and put your tortoise outside for some real sunshine at least a couple of times a week, you won't need any artificial indoor UV.

What wattage bulb you need will depend upon how big your enclosure is, how cold the room is, how close the bulb is to the tortoise, etc. 150 sounds like an awful lot and so does 160, but your thermometer will verify that for you one way or the other.

Sunshine through a window does not give your tortoise any UV. You also have to be very careful that you don't over heat him. They can cook indoors with sunshine shining into a glass box or plastic tub.

If you do decide to buy one, you can get the Powersun much cheaper than that online. Usually around $40. You cannot use a dimmer with mercury vapor bulbs. Self ballasted means that your just screw it in and it works, as opposed to a florescent fixture and bulb which has an external ballast.
i can't put my tortoise outside because my dog lives there so she will definitely hurt her.
my enclosure is in about 40-55 gallon plastic tub. my room gets up to 80-85 plus the heat bulb maybe 85-95.the heat bulb is like 1 foot from her (50 watts).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh, I misunderstood. Your Fluker fixture is rated for up to 150 watts. In that case you'd need a bigger one. You can buy them at the hardware store for around 12 bucks. Those are usually rated for 250 watts.

That tub is too small for an adult russian. What size is your tortoise?

Most tortoise owners have dogs. We all make dog proof enclosures that suit our needs and our particular situations. You need to do this too. Tortoises need to get out for sunshine exercise and grazing. Whoever you bought the tortoise from should have told you all of this. I'm sorry if they didn't. At least you know now and you can take the steps to give your tortoise the things it needs for good health. If you live in an area with frozen winters, you'll have all winter to think about it and plan it out. He doesn't have to be out all the time, but it would be really good for him to be outside at least some of the time during nice weather.

russian tortoise boy

5 Year Member
North Las Vegas Nevada
Tom said:
Oh, I misunderstood. Your Fluker fixture is rated for up to 150 watts. In that case you'd need a bigger one. You can buy them at the hardware store for around 12 bucks. Those are usually rated for 250 watts.

That tub is too small for an adult russian. What size is your tortoise?

Most tortoise owners have dogs. We all make dog proof enclosures that suit our needs and our particular situations. You need to do this too. Tortoises need to get out for sunshine exercise and grazing. Whoever you bought the tortoise from should have told you all of this. I'm sorry if they didn't. At least you know now and you can take the steps to give your tortoise the things it needs for good health. If you live in an area with frozen winters, you'll have all winter to think about it and plan it out. He doesn't have to be out all the time, but it would be really good for him to be outside at least some of the time during nice weather.

ok last few days i bring her outside for 30 minutes to do some walk and stuff. the fluker's rated 150 watts was like 18 bucks, but when i saw the 250 watts lamp in petsmart website it was only 13 bucks?! what the hell! well something must be wrong. anyway probably on thanksgiving i will buy a 250 watts lamp and powersun mvb bulb. and my female adult or juvenile (i dont know the thing but folks told me it was an adult) was 5 inches long. (people said that she must be in 5-7 years and will grow more)

Status
Not open for further replies.