Why don't we see many russian tortoise hatchlings?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Recently ( @biochemnerd808 ) hatched some ADORABLE russian tort babies, and that's actually the first time I've seen a thread about having hatchling russians...o_O Why are they so 'rare'? Are they hard to hatch? Breed (I mean, russian males are aggressive, so usually pairing doesn't happen:( )? And of course, since russian tort babies are bit 'less common', it affects the WC industry of russian torts, even just CB adults.
So why don't we see many of these adorable little guys? :(

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I don't know, but maybe because the species isn't seen as one that can make much money. Although, I paid more for my Russian than my sulcata.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I don't know, but maybe because the species isn't seen as one that can make much money. Although, I paid more for my Russian than my sulcata.
Wow! Was he a hatcling?
Well, there is a high 'demand' for russians torts, but the supply is coming from the wild (mostly) so demand for CB is a little less than it might be if WC tort trade stopped :(

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
He was "estimated" to be 4-7 years old. He hasn't grown much since I've had him for 3 years.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
It's weird. I've discussed this with a few people, and it seems that you guys in The States find it very hard to breed them compared to over here and in mainland Europe as well. We are over-run with them, and nearly all are CB. @Baoh , @Neal , @TylerStewart , @tortadise are all people who I've asked about this. Nick in particular provided a very good theory, but don't know which forum and where we were talking about it.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
It's weird. I've discussed this with a few people, and it seems that you guys in The States find it very hard to breed them compared to over here and in mainland Europe as well. We are over-run with them, and nearly all are CB. @Baoh , @Neal , @TylerStewart , @tortadise are all people who I've asked about this. Nick in particular provided a very good theory, but don't know which forum and where we were talking about it.
how do you know my name:eek:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Perhaps because you guys are a little closer to their 'home land' area of Russia, and keeping russian torts as pets swept through faster there? It's become a bigger pet trade? I think some countries that have their own popular species of exotic pets (such as Russia) have a a more grounded trade of CB animals? In Australia, the trade of CB blue tongue skinks is thriving, but I think in part because ANY export of native animals is illegal, and because that is the skink's originating area.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I wonder if maybe Europe has more CBs not just because I believe theres a law against the WC trade there right? but also because their native habitat is right there so less is needed to do to be "natural" to them.

I also believe the pet trade itself has something to do with the less in America, they're all so readily available in pet stores in the US that people don't need to look for breeders and babies, in fact I never thought to... well I did briefly but no ones around here so I got "Lazy". I'm also not so quick to jump on condemning the pet trade. I mean yeah its not great what happens but I recall someone making a good point once, the people who catch the wild torts over there often do it for money to feed them and their families and that who's to say if they were stopped they wouldn't go out and catch the torts to eat? I mean yeah they're small but when you're poor and starving a meal is a meal.
That being said Russian hatchlings are holy crap adorable but for me personally I want to adopt rescue ones because of pet store ones being so easy to adopt a lot end up unwanted in several years. I do love pictures though theyre so eeny!!

Last edited:

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I wish there were more captive bred Russians in this country so that the stores and brokers would not feel like they have to import them. I would love to breed my Russian tortoise, she would probably make some pretty cute little babies :) but I would be picky on who I gave or sold them too. I would not want to raise them and then just sell them to a pet store to be given to anybody. but I would still prefer the pet stores have captive bred so that the wild ones can stay where they belong in their home land. Living their lives like they have for millions of years.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I would like to add however that I would not want to see a overpopulation in the market. Too many animals of any kind is not good, look at the sad situations with dogs and cats in this country.