Why don't we see many russian tortoise hatchlings?

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
This year I had 33 Russian eggs hatch. Five of my females laid eggs. They seem to like to lay their eggs in the tall fescue grass that is at one end of their enclosure. In 2013 I only had 11 that hatched. In 2012 I only had 3 eggs and none were fertile. It is the same enclosure, same male and same females, although until this year the youngest female in that enclosure was not old enough and I never saw the male trying to mate with her until this year. My Russians woke up a month earlier than usual this year. I do not know if that had anything to do with the increase in egg laying or not. This year I missed two nests and found a total of 8 babies walking around the enclosure, which was very exciting. I incubated the eggs to be female so I am curious how many will turn out to be females.

Another thing that I find interesting is that in 2013 all of Chloe's eggs were normal size except one which was exceptionally small, however, was fertile and a tiny, tiny little Russian hatched out. I kept that one and she is healthy and catchling up in size to the other two that I kept. This year, however, a good percentage of Chloe's eggs were smaller than average (athough not as small as the egg of 2013). They were fertile and hatched. The babies are very healthy, although small for their chronological age.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Oh wow, your light baby is beautiful. I also love the dark color!
Whatever you're doing, it's right. :eek::D

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
OMG!!! They are SOOOO cute!!!! :)
I really like that dark one! :p

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Here are some of this year's batch from my RT group.
DSC_8103%2B-%2BCopy.JPG

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Hey Katie great looking babes are they from this fall's clutches?
The three smaller ones are from my Fall clutches.
All 4 of Amber's eggs turned out to be infertile (this was her first season laying, and they didn't even have a yolk in them!)
The bigger of the small babies was Mila's first. She weighed 20g at hatching!
The two smallest babies were Lady's first babies. :)
Most of the babies have shipped to their new owners by now. Weather interfered with 2 being shipped - they get to wait until Spring.

I'm curious to see who all lays eggs in the Spring! :) Timmy girl gave me 6 babies last Spring.