Why Identification is important

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
My neighbor found a red ear in her yard under a pile of leaves.

Most likely using it for insulation. They're still coming out the water to lay eggs and get caught in the cold at night.

People keep calling it a box turtle for some odd reason after I told them what it is.

Just an important reminder to always know what species of turtle, tort, snake etc your dealing with so you can properly know how to relocate or care for it.

I saw this once when someone threw a tort into a lake.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230422-062618_Nextdoor.jpg
    Screenshot_20230422-062618_Nextdoor.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230422-062628_Nextdoor.jpg
    Screenshot_20230422-062628_Nextdoor.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20230422-210116_Nextdoor.jpg
    Screenshot_20230422-210116_Nextdoor.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm dealing with something similar with someone's escaped Harris hawk in my neighbor hood right now. The public ignorance about animals is astounding and it appears to be getting worse as time goes by. The bird is wearing a falconry bell. We put these bells on when hunting in thick woods back east, or even in tall heavy cover out west here. A person posted that they didn't understand why someone would put bells on the bird because it would prevent the bird from hunting since the prey would hear them coming. These bells were invented hundreds, possibly thousands, of years ago specifically for hunting with falcons, hawks, and goshawks. Falconers across the country have freezers full of evidence that the bells do not inhibit their hunting ability at all.

The person in that video of the tortoise being tossed into a lake was a uniformed wildlife "official" of some sort. These are the people giving us permission to do what we want to do, or not, as the case may be. Absurdity at its finest.

P.S. Camels don't spit.