Why Is My Sulcata Shy All Of A Sudden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alben909

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yuciapa,CA
Hi TFO, im Alec and i have a problem. My tort,Roxy, has been acting wierd lately. She never sticks her head out all the way when people are around(EVEN ME!!!) I kind of spied on her and she only comes out and walks around when we arent around. Oh and i forgot to mention, she wont eat around people too. Is it just because shes getting older? Please help. I want my old Roxy back.:(:(:(

Someone please help

Someone please help

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
Thats kind of weird, better help is on the way from other members, but
has anything from her.daily.routine changed?
Anything stressful occur recently? (Perhaps moved into a new enclosure)
Does she.have a.hide.where she can get away and feel fully safe?
Has she been going to the.bathroom regularly?
These are some of the baseline questions I could think of :)

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
Two days ago we finally moved her into her outdoor enclosure.

And i havent seen her poop in a while. (But i know she does)

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
My guess is she is a little freaked out and scared right now, in a way out of "her ordinary" if that makes since :)
When I would first start taking my redfootys outside, they always ran straight for cover, now they are comfortable and love to roam,
I think she just needs some time to settle in and get used it :)

Oh yeah we all love pictures :p

They can be good at hiding their droppings :D

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
Here is Roxy hiding under her favorite plant.

IMG_20120316_180343.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Usually when that happens, someone has been poking at the turtle/tortoise and teasing it. I've seen it happen more often that I care to.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
alben909 said:
I do have a baby brother that always is trying to kick her.

uhhh, just guessing, but that could be your problem right there... :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its going to take a while for the tortoise to realize she's safe and you are her protector. Do everything you can to make sure your little brother can't get to the tortoise any more. The more often he interacts with her and scares her, the longer its going to take. Its hard sometimes, to make a small child realize they are supposed to be kind to animals. Especially animals that look and feel like rocks. But try to make him understand that he is hurting the tortoise by his actions.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
My Cooper goes thru these shy spells once n a blue moon. And I know 4 a fact its not from any sort of abuse tho. My daughter is not aloud to EVER be around him unless I am there to watch her every move. I hate to sound like a jerk, but I just don't trust kids even my own, at least not the young one. I do wish I knew what caused his, but they are normally only like a day thing and then he is back to normal. Do u find poo laying around? Sullys will eat it if its laying around. I bath Cooper every day or 2 so he won't go in his habitat. I would not let anyone but u bother him and see if he comes around. Best of luck to u both! :) hope I don't sound to harsh, I just have massive trust issues and he is my boy that I won't let anyone harm! Have a good day!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
alben909 said:
I do have a baby brother that always is trying to kick her.
I think that answers that question.
Kids have to learn that they are animals that feel just like all other animals. My cousins come over often and the younger ones love the turtles and tortoises but they can be rough so there is a no touching policy at my house. They can feel free to look all they want but until they get older and realize they are feeling animals, they don't touch. Now as they get older often they love to help out with the feedings and such. Your tortoise should get over the incident soon, as long as there is no more kicking that is.

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
Thanks Cemmons. I am going to keep my sulcatas more "isolated" away from other kids.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Sorry, this dumb smart phone posted twice so I did a full edit. Your welcome! I just didn't want to sound mean but I remember being a curious kid and poking animals. I didn't try and hurt them on purpose, just curious. I really hope your sully comes around soon, I think it will!

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
Thanks so much. I think she will too. Oh and i have a poll about which tort has most attitude dont forget to vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.