Why is my tortoise chewing his food bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeaderLeprechaun

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
Turbo, my red-foot, was chewing on his food bowl today and even with mustard greens in there. he wouldnt eat the greens but he just kept trying to eat the bowl.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Keep an eye out during dinner and see if the food is ignored. If the bowl gets more attention, id remove it for a week and make sure to use the dishwasher ... In that week go ahead and substitute the bowl with a tupperware lid and see how that works... :)

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
What color is the bowl? I had to stop using green and red bowls when Bowser was younger. That was her color that she loved to eat, lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are you using any colored bulbs for heat during the day? The funny light from those will sometimes make them nibble on non-food things.

Another possibility is that he's seeking more mineral supplementation. How often do you do calcium and do you ever do any other minerals or vitamin supplements?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Perhaps he is simply trying to maintain healthy his beak...you may want to place a rounded river rock in his enclosure so he can rub his beak and bite at it to wear his beak down....just make sure the rock is large enough not to be swallowed....lol:D

LeaderLeprechaun

5 Year Member
Mississippi
the bowl is brown, i do supplement him at least 2 times a week now since i was told to reduce the amount i was giving him and he has a cuttlefish bone in his terrarium. im not using any colored bulbs for daytime and hes never done this behavior before that ive observed.

ya the beak trimming is what i had thought he might be doing as well but i wasnt sure, i do have a large flat surfaced rock and several river rocks in his terrarium and i had noticed that when i took him outside he would walk to the sidewalk and try to eat it too. so it is prolly just to trim down his beak

Status
Not open for further replies.