Why is my Tortoise head bobbing at my dogs?

Scragry

Location (City and/or State)
Torrance
Hi
I was really wondering on why tortoise keeps head bobbing at my dogs, he chases them and tries to bite them on their ears but he mostly keeps head bobbing at them, is that normal tortoise behavior?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes. He's telling the dogs to get out of HIS territory. It's very stressful for him. Any way you can keep the dogs away from him?

Scragry

Torrance
I do keep my dogs and tortoise separated but when my dogs want to go outside to do their buisness that when sometimes ( not all the times) he starts to headbob at them but the dogs don't really mind him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do keep my dogs and tortoise separated but when my dogs want to go outside to do their buisness that when sometimes ( not all the times) he starts to headbob at them but the dogs don't really mind him.
The dogs shouldn't be doing their business in the tortoises area. They should not share an area at all. You need to close off an area for the dogs and for the tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The "best" trained dogs have chewed on tortoises. Dogs that have lived for years with tortoises and never used too " mind" them one day killed the family long time tortoise member. It's been seen too many times from people who said their dogs never pays any attention too the tort.
As for the dogs in the tort area to do their business, that also can be deadly for the tort as they will eat dog poop which if any meds are given too the dog it's being eaten now by the tort. Ever way you look at it, it's a bad combo.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome to the site, Scragry! Some pics of your tortoise would be great.
I am afraid it's true about not keeping or letting your dog and tortoise be together - ever! Horrible things happen to people/tortoises that way, sorry to say!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, he's a fine-looking old man!

N

no one

You have a beautiful Tortoise! I really like the third picture.
And I hope you take the advice you have got to heart. Every-one means well. It would be a real shame if something would happen to your beautiful Tortoise.
You can look up old post about dogs and Tortoises.

Scragry

Torrance
I am going to take the advice but I'm a bit more worried if someone takes him ( especially since there has been crimes rising in my area) because before I had him I used to have one but when my neighbor was moving out there was construction going on in his house and the people that were working on the house spotted my tortoise wandering outside the gate and took it with them

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Your little desert tortoise is stating that his special area is being invaded upon and that its high time that this interloper leaves. He may also present this head--bobbing indicating sexual interest in a near-by female. Please always keep your dogs and tortoises separate. He may headbob at your dog, but such interactions do not end up well for the tortoise.