Why is my tortoise winking at me.

TortoiseNoob9

Location (City and/or State)
Fremont, California
The basking temp 95 degrees F. My bedding is topsoil. I have a UVB and heat bulb. The gradient temperature is 75 to 80 degrees. I have a humid hide that I went every morning. Yesterday while I was feeding some green spit came out of her mouth but it was not vomit because she swallowed it. I feed her mostly kale these days. She is turning a year old on August 10th 2022.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That's not a lot of information but a diet of Kale isn't suitable for any species.
What type of tortoise?
What type of lighting?
What type of uvb?
What type of enclosure?

TortoiseNoob9

Fremont, California
That's not a lot of information but a diet of Kale isn't suitable for any species.
What type of tortoise?
What type of lighting?
What type of uvb?
What type of enclosure?
It is an Eastern Herman's tortoise. I use a UVB 10 bulb and a basking bulb. It is in an indoor concrete tub because it is just a baby. However, when it is 2-3 years old. I will move into an outdoor enclosure.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
It is an Eastern Herman's tortoise. I use a UVB 10 bulb and a basking bulb. It is in an indoor concrete tub because it is just a baby. However, when it is 2-3 years old. I will move into an outdoor enclosure.
Basking bulb is not very descriptive.
Is is an incandescent or a MVB? What wattage?
By UVB "bulb" do you mean one that screws in? Is it a compact coiled? Is it also a MVB?
The use of anything other than a T5 HO linear strip florescent uvb tube is not wanted. In fact the coiled or compact UVB bulbs and the MVB combination bulbs can cause eye issues.
MVB lights also cause shell destination.
Photos would help with a better guess

TortoiseNoob9

Fremont, California
Basking bulb is not very descriptive.
Is is an incandescent or a MVB? What wattage?
By UVB "bulb" do you mean one that screws in? Is it a compact coiled? Is it also a MVB?
The use of anything other than a T5 HO linear strip florescent uvb tube is not wanted. In fact the coiled or compact UVB bulbs and the MVB combination bulbs can cause eye issues.
MVB lights also cause shell destination.
It is a Repti Basking Spot Lamp by Zoomed and 75w. My UVB bulb is a screw in one and it is 13 Watts. None of them are MVBs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is a Repti Basking Spot Lamp by Zoomed and 75w. My UVB bulb is a screw in one and it is 13 Watts. None of them are MVBs.
This is bad. You have gotten the same wrong care info and products that almost everyone gets. If you let us, we will help get everything squared away.

You are going to need new bulbs, and soil should never be used as substrate. Its all here:

Questions are welcome.

TortoiseNoob9

Fremont, California
This is bad. You have gotten the same wrong care info and products that almost everyone gets. If you let us, we will help get everything squared away.

You are going to need new bulbs, and soil should never be used as substrate. Its all here:

Questions are welcome.
Can I use Top soil mixed with cypress mulch

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Is there a HOME DEPOT nearby?
They carry pure ORCHID BARK in the garden center. And it's inexpensive too.

You've got a few things that require addressing. We're here to help.
It's going to get easier soon.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can use whatever you want, but top soil is likely to be toxic and have harmful additives. Soil should not be used as a tortoise substrate. It has all kinds of weird stuff in it, and the people making and selling it do not intend for live animals to be living on/in it.

TortoiseNoob9

Fremont, California

TortoiseNoob9

Fremont, California

TortoiseNoob9

Fremont, California
Thanks for the advice, but top soil is different than potting soil. Potting soil has many chemicals and minerals that tortoises can ingest. However, top soil is made of organic materials and has no added chemicals. For example the one I use has peat, processed forest products, compost, ash, rice hulls, sand native top soil, bagasse, and food processing waste. I know that people mix topsoil with other things such as cypress mulch or coconut coir to help it hold humidity. However, since I have an indoor enclosure the humidit hide does not dry out. However, if it you still see an issue I can mix the topsoil with orchid bark or just use orchid bark. In case you are wondering the link will take you to some orchid bark. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Better-Gro-8-Qt-Orchid-Bark-50190/100166665

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
However, top soil is made of organic materials and has no added chemicals. For example the one I use has peat, processed forest products, compost, ash, rice hulls, sand native top soil, bagasse, and food processing waste.
I'm aware of the difference between top soil and potting soil. Everything you just listed above are things that are potentially toxic and no tortoise should be exposed to.

Also, rattlesnake venom is 100% organic. So is oleander. 100% all natural and organic. So is ricin. And arsenic.

TortoiseNoob9

Fremont, California
So how would I make an inexpensive substrate that my tortoise can bury into. I agree that I should change my substrate. However, everything recommended says it should be mixed with topsoil. I was thinking of orchid bark mixed with topsoil.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So how would I make an inexpensive substrate that my tortoise can bury into. I agree that I should change my substrate. However, everything recommended says it should be mixed with topsoil. I was thinking of orchid bark mixed with topsoil.
"Everything" does not recommend any such thing. Other wrong sources recommend that. They also recommend many other wrong things. If someone is telling you to use soil, you are reading the wrong info. Most of the people here on this forum tell people to NOT use any soil. It could be toxic or dangerous and there is no way to know what is in it. Don't use it. Its not safe.

Dampened, hand packed coco coir works great for babies, and plain fine grade orchid bark works well for adults.

TortoiseNoob9

Fremont, California
"Everything" does not recommend any such thing. Other wrong sources recommend that. They also recommend many other wrong things. If someone is telling you to use soil, you are reading the wrong info. Most of the people here on this forum tell people to NOT use any soil. It could be toxic or dangerous and there is no way to know what is in it. Don't use it. Its not safe.

Dampened, hand packed coco coir works great for babies, and plain fine grade orchid bark works well for adults.
I am so sorry if I sounded ignorant or rude. I was just trying to not sound stupid. Thank you for all your help

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am so sorry if I sounded ignorant or rude. I was just trying to not sound stupid. Thank you for all your help
Not at all. There is just a lot of misinformation out in the world and it is totally understandable that people need to be convinced. Your questions are the only way to get through and get the right information to you.

I make the switch from coco to orchid bark when they are around 3-4 inches. Age doesn't matter. I go by size since they all grow at wildly different rates and for a lot of different reasons.

Your tortoise is very likely winking at you because it has something in its eye, or because something in the soil is toxic. This is likely when soil is used. It might also be due to the wrong UV bulb. Read the care sheet I linked in post number 6. All that info will keep your tortoise alive and well in a world of misinformation. Your questions are welcome.