Why is my tortoise winking at me.

Retiree

Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia, PA
Use it alone.
Orchid bark holds moisture and releases humidity all by itself.
That's the one in your link. Get that one. It says POTTING MEDIA. It's pure bark.
There's another called POTTING MIX. Avoid that one
Orchid bark is pure bark, but it is fir tree bark. I have also been told by 4 different turtle/tortoise group admins not to use it because it is toxic. I was also told to use a 50/50 organic top soil/coco coir mix by all four. I am amazed that any tortoise survives with so much conflicting information. I do know that I have 5 different species of reptiles ( (including a fossorial Hognose snake) in bioactive substrates for several years that are composed of 30%-60% Scott’s top soil that are all healthy. I have changed my hatchlings substrate twice already. I originally used 30% play sand as breeder said. It made sense. My Greek Tortoise originated in the Mediterranean. Lots of sandy soil there. Well the everything I read in GRoups and in your care sheet said sand is a big no-no. Ok he is tiny and he does burrow into the substrate. Added more coco coir and topped it off with reptile cypress mulch also per breeder so my little one was just burrowing into the mulch. I don’t like the mulch because it is too ragged and the group admins had a fit because cypress is toxic. I don’t understand how these big, well know reptile supply companies don’t get sued right and left for selling products that are toxic to our animals. I would think tortoises would all be extinct for living on soil that has been contaminated with hundreds of different substances for millennia. It is enough to make me rethink owning a tortoise. Most every “expert” seems to agree on lighting, heating, uvb, humidity, soaking, feeding, enclosures why the heck is substrate such a complex issue? Please know that I am not attacking you personally, I started by reading your hatchling care sheet and follow nearly everything. I used the substrate the breeder used to start. Now I am going to use the same substrate I use for my humidity loving Ball Python who eats, sheds and explores just like a reptile should.

qiangzhu

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Orchid bark is pure bark, but it is fir tree bark. I have also been told by 4 different turtle/tortoise group admins not to use it because it is toxic. I was also told to use a 50/50 organic top soil/coco coir mix by all four. I am amazed that any tortoise survives with so much conflicting information. I do know that I have 5 different species of reptiles ( (including a fossorial Hognose snake) in bioactive substrates for several years that are composed of 30%-60% Scott’s top soil that are all healthy. I have changed my hatchlings substrate twice already. I originally used 30% play sand as breeder said. It made sense. My Greek Tortoise originated in the Mediterranean. Lots of sandy soil there. Well the everything I read in GRoups and in your care sheet said sand is a big no-no. Ok he is tiny and he does burrow into the substrate. Added more coco coir and topped it off with reptile cypress mulch also per breeder so my little one was just burrowing into the mulch. I don’t like the mulch because it is too ragged and the group admins had a fit because cypress is toxic. I don’t understand how these big, well know reptile supply companies don’t get sued right and left for selling products that are toxic to our animals. I would think tortoises would all be extinct for living on soil that has been contaminated with hundreds of different substances for millennia. It is enough to make me rethink owning a tortoise. Most every “expert” seems to agree on lighting, heating, uvb, humidity, soaking, feeding, enclosures why the heck is substrate such a complex issue? Please know that I am not attacking you personally, I started by reading your hatchling care sheet and follow nearly everything. I used the substrate the breeder used to start. Now I am going to use the same substrate I use for my humidity loving Ball Python who eats, sheds and explores just like a reptile should.
I also don't use it because my tortoise likes to eat it