Why is she freaking out?

obi420

So 3 days ago I got a female hermans tort who had been tanked with a male her whole life because the previous owner believed she was a male too. But her little stubby tail and lack of shell flaring alluded differently.
Well, now for the past 3 hours shes been running nonstop and biting our other tortoise she seems to be wiggling when she does stop. She released a bunch of white liquid? She also keeps like sniffing the dirt? She has plants growing in her pen but she isnt eating them. As I was typing she just now went back into her hide which she has been spending a lot of time digging in.
So what is happening and why guys?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
So 3 days ago

If the tort is new, it will take some time to settle, so hiding is not unusual nor is eating little...

Well, now for the past 3 hours shes been running nonstop and biting our other tortoise

You really should adhere to a quarantine before the two share the same common ground, also, I would not plan on keeping them in the same enclosure as a pair....especially if the tort is already showing aggression outwardly to your tort....they do not like company, they do not need a partner, they do not like to cuddle, they do not like to share---they don't seek out companionship as a human or even a dog does.....they like to be the king/queen of their own space....if the biting is going on, then this new tort can seriously harm/injure/bully your tort....

White liquid, likely urates---not a prob and is normal, bump your soaking/hydration routine...

MsBijou

5 Year Member
She's trying to figure out how to get "home."

Also, definitely separate your torts before she seriously hurts him. Just because she tolerated the last guy doesn't mean anything. Tortoises are solitary animals.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

obi420

She only really nipped once during my 4 hours of observing and as it turns she just up and laid eggs?! I doubt theyre fertile or viable she is only about 5 inches. But thank you everyone.

MsBijou

5 Year Member
I thought of that! I should have said it. I don't know THAT much to comment on that but I did wonder about it. Does she feel better now?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

obi420

Yes and I'm not sure if anything will come of the eggs but I have them in a hovabator now