Why isn't my tortoise eating and why is she making weird squeaking noises?

Lillian

Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
I got my tortoise 10 days ago and she won't eat. When I first got her I assumed it was because she was just getting used to her cage and eventually would begin to eat, but she still hasn't. She is indoors and has a heat light bulb and a UV light bulb. I started off by giving her the food that the pet store told me to give her, i'm not sure what kind it was but they were wet pellets. I also put a strawberry in her food bowl which she nibbled at but did not get a full bite out of. I put her in the bath twice a week and one of the times I did, she went to the bathroom but now when I do it, she just crawls right out. When she gets out of the water, she makes this weird squeaking noise which is concerning me. Also, her eyes have had this watery look to them lately and she has had them closed for a few days now other than when I take her out of her cage. If there is any way someone could tell me if this is normal or if I should be concerned that would be great!
Thanks

Melis

Maryland
Welcome! Is he blowing bubbles at all? Could be a possible respiratory infection. Let’s start with your temperatures in your enclosure. Too low of temps could also cause him not wanting to eat.
What type of bulbs are you using? Certain bulbs can cause eye issues.
Pics of your tort and the enclosure would greatly help us help you!

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I agree with @Melis, it could be a respiratory infection. Correct temperatures are the most important factor in preventing and treating RI.
Read these threads to see correct temps as well as other good info ...

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

And don't feed strawberries or any other fruit. They don't digest fruit well. Also you'll want to add fresh greens to her diet. Weeds are the best but it's not a great time of year for finding weeds so get some spring mix (without spinach or pick out the spinach), endive, escarole, mustard greens, turnip greens or cactus pads. Those pellets shouldn't be a staple of her diet. Check out those threads for more diet info.

Lillian

Connecticut
Thank you for all the help! No she isn’t blowing any bubbles that I know of and yes I was worried that the temperature was too low since she has a screened top to her cage but I read that if you put towels over the top it helps trap the heat better. I have tried putting some greens in her diet but she hasn’t picked at them, I will definitely try the spring mix. Is it common for Russian tortoises to get respiratory infections? And would that explain why she isn’t eating? I don’t know much about respiratory infections so if you could tell me the signs of them and how to treat it that would be helpful!
I attached an image of her cage (she’s currently in her rock!) I’m not sure what type the lightbulbs are, they were given to me already in the lamp when purchased.
Again thank you so much for your help and let me know anything else if you can!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 32

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Yes respiratory infections are common for all tortoises and temperature is the biggest factor. The symptoms are runny nose or bubbles blowing from nose, squeaking or rattling with breathing and a loss of appetite and increased sleep.
But it's also possible that your tortoise isn't sick and just wants to hibernate (brumate) which is natural but not necessary and you can help prevent it if you don't want it to happen.
Or she could just be taking a long time to settle in. It's not that uncommon for a long adjustment period.

It looks pretty dark in that enclosure. A lack of light will make her want to brumate. Get a florecent light fixture to brighten it up in there.

How are you measuring your temps? I don't see a temp gauge. You'll need a digital gauge that measures temperature and humidity. They are cheap. Be sure to get digital. Accurite is a decent brand. Also get a temperature gun at your local hardware store. About $12. This is very valuable for spot checking your basking area. If your tort can't get her body heat up to 85 degrees she can't digest food and therefore she won't eat. She needs it to be 95-100 degrees under her light. From the photo I can't tell if she can even sit under that light. It looks like it is wasting all its heat on a pointy rock.

Also is that just one light? You need a heat lamp and a uvb light. Take a photo of the lights and bulbs and we can tell you what they are.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Oh and if you suspect a tortoise has a respiratory infection the treatment is to raise ambient heat to 80 degrees day and night and to give warm soaks daily for 20-30 mins. The key is to keep them warm and hydrated while they fight it off.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I got my tortoise 10 days ago and she won't eat. When I first got her I assumed it was because she was just getting used to her cage and eventually would begin to eat, but she still hasn't. She is indoors and has a heat light bulb and a UV light bulb. I started off by giving her the food that the pet store told me to give her, i'm not sure what kind it was but they were wet pellets. I also put a strawberry in her food bowl which she nibbled at but did not get a full bite out of. I put her in the bath twice a week and one of the times I did, she went to the bathroom but now when I do it, she just crawls right out. When she gets out of the water, she makes this weird squeaking noise which is concerning me. Also, her eyes have had this watery look to them lately and she has had them closed for a few days now other than when I take her out of her cage. If there is any way someone could tell me if this is normal or if I should be concerned that would be great!
Thanks
Where did you buy the tortoise from? Russians are more times than not Wild Caught and are super stressed when plopped over an over again....into a pet shop. What is your current set up? Size, substrate, food, warmth to cool grade temps? May we please see a pic of the actual tortoise? Not being judgy...just wanting to get as much info as possible...