Why my turtles becoming lazy and crying?

Mr turtle1

Location (City and/or State)
India
I noticed that my pair indian roof turtles are becoming lazy. They both r following each other, becoming lazy and I noticed water coming out of the eyes of both of them(may be infection?). I give them uv rays for 3 hrs. They both r hiding under a chair. The biggest part is they r not fighting any more!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post picture of them both including the eyes. Also give us a run down of their complete care. Housing, diet, etc, everything.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The Indian roofed turtle is a WATER turtle that should be living in a large aquarium or outdoor pond, NOT under a chair. "Following" may be a sign of domination. The aquarium or pond should be large enough for each to have his own territory.

Mr turtle1

India
The Indian roofed turtle is a WATER turtle that should be living in a large aquarium or outdoor pond, NOT under a chair. "Following" may be a sign of domination. The aquarium or pond should be large enough for each to have his own territory.
No u didn't get me. That shop told me to leave them on ground for 1 hr. In that period, they r doing this.

Mr turtle1

India
Post picture of them both including the eyes. Also give us a run down of their complete care. Housing, diet, etc, everything.
I am giving them uva+uvb light lamp for 2 hrs, diet is pellets,prawns, carrots and I also gave them cucumber. They got a bacterial infection few days ago but now they r ok.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
how close is the uv light to them ? is the uv light on them the same time you see their eyes watering?

Mr turtle1

India
how close is the uv light to them ? is the uv light on them the same time you see their eyes watering?
I hv bought them 5 days ago. I adjusted uv lights 2 days ago. My bigger one seems to be in trauma like thing. It is behaving weird. Since I hv started to give uv to them, they r behaving like that. Sorry can't get good photo of it's eyes but they seems to be clear, just watery

Mr turtle1

India
They also slept on ground yesterday when I bought them out of the water for about 50 min under the table and both r trying to find shadow in which they can hide. I hv not given them uv today

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
improper use of uv is dangerous to their eyes ..... they need to be able to hide , stress kills animals , especially wild animals .

Mr turtle1

India
improper use of uv is dangerous to their eyes ..... they need to be able to hide , stress kills animals , especially wild animals .
Do u think I adjusted uv too close to them? They were sitting on the platform which pet shop gave me when uv was on. I was little confused. I'll try to run uv on low level from now. Thx for help. That pet shop didn't told me anything. He even didn't told me about uv lights. Just finding on net about that.

Mr turtle1

India
How long will it take for them to be normal? Should I wait for them to be normal before turning uv on again?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
saying it COULD be the uv light is nothing more than a guess .... the only fact is to strong of uv is harmful to their eyes ....... the largest possible enclosure you can afford them is in their best interest ..... they need more hiding places than there are turtles ........

Mr turtle1

India
saying it COULD be the uv light is nothing more than a guess .... the only fact is to strong of uv is harmful to their eyes ....... the largest possible enclosure you can afford them is in their best interest ..... they need more hiding places than there are turtles ........
Thx for help. I think it is uv rays coz they r behaving like this when I first introduced them uv rays :) . I'll also try to maintain a good distance between turtles and uv light.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post the pictures of the enclosure and all lights and heat you are using.
Post pics of the turtles and get the eye picture whenever you can and just add it onto this thread
We really need to know what is going on with their care before anything can be determined. Everything now is just guessed as mark 1 said.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thx for help. I think it is uv rays coz they r behaving like this when I first introduced them uv rays :) . I'll also try to maintain a good distance between turtles and uv light.
What type of UV light?
How far from the turtle?

We told you previously: Each turtle needs its own enclosure with a dry dock and a heat lamp. They will choose to get out of the water when they need to. You should not be pulling them out of the water and letting them run around the room.

Mr turtle1

India
What type of UV light?
How far from the turtle?

We told you previously: Each turtle needs its own enclosure with a dry dock and a heat lamp. They will choose to get out of the water when they need to. You should not be pulling them out of the water and letting them run around the room.
What type of UV light?
How far from the turtle?

I got some photos. They r looking good today and r becoming activeIMG20230501120554.jpgIMG20230501120601.jpgIMG20230501120609.jpgIMG20230501120637.jpgIMG20230501120642.jpgIMG20230501120644.jpg
IMG20230501120630.jpg
I am using this uv light(uva+uvb lamp with stand)
IMG20230501120837.jpg

Thx for help guys. There r no active forums for these guys like this one:)

Mr turtle1

India
I hv changed the setup. They r in small aquarium for now(I hv 2). Shop told me that this is coz of dehydration and wrong use of uv light
IMG20230501134708.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I hv changed the setup. They r in small aquarium for now(I hv 2). Shop told me that this is coz of dehydration and wrong use of uv light
View attachment 356567
They need a heat source for basking. You need an incandescent flood bulb and it needs to be hung over that basking platform.

There is no way to know what that UV bulb is doing without a meter. Those types of LED bulbs usually do not make a whole lot of UV, so it is unlikely tp burn their eyes, but it is also unlikely to give them much benefit.

The aquarium needs to be about four times that size, and you need two of them.

These turtles are not going to survive if you don't make the right changes.