Why own a snapping turtle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I always see lots of ads on craigslist offering snapping turtles of different varieties, and it always makes me wonder: who'd actually want to own a snapping turtle?

They're not friendly, can be dangerous, and get fairly big (which is not a bonus if they want nothing to do with you). So what exactly is the appeal? Am I missing out on something? I'm perfectly happy with the "different strokes for different folks" explanation, but if there is something else to it, I'd like to know.

EP429

5 Year Member
Central Texas
Mgridgaway said:
I always see lots of ads on craigslist offering snapping turtles of different varieties, and it always makes me wonder: who'd actually want to own a snapping turtle?

They're not friendly, can be dangerous, and get fairly big (which is not a bonus if they want nothing to do with you). So what exactly is the appeal? Am I missing out on something? I'm perfectly happy with the "different strokes for different folks" explanation, but if there is something else to it, I'd like to know.

I've often considered one for when my wife's friends visit & bring their kids along. They just kinda bust into my tortoise room & try to pick them up (great parenting!)
If I had a snapper, I'd tell them to go play with him, he'll do what my Redfoots only wish they could do :D
That's about as far as their appeal gets with me.
Sorry, I'm twisted like that.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I find them spunky and beautiful, but I'm not sure I'd want one as a pet.

I love finding them out on my journeys in nature, but as far as a pet..Meh...

I'm happy with my Stinkpot and Redfoot.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Snapping turtles are one of those animals that are generally misunderstood by people because of many misconceptions and inflated folklore.

Here where I live Snappers are by far the most common species in the wild. They are everywhere. Sometimes a lot of places where they shouldn't be! I've gotten calls to remove them from back lawns, gardens, garages and once even a basement!

I've heard stories my whole life about them biting broomsticks in half, chasing people, being three feet long, weighing 100 pounds, eating all the fish in a pond and on and on. None of it is true. They are aggressive, like most animals, when threatened. If left alone or not directly confronted they pay very little attention to humans. Most of them that people encounter are females on land to nest or later in the summer males or females moving to another water source. On land they are out of their element and can be very defensive when confronted. Wild animals do one of two things when confronted they either flee or defend. Given the opportunity most would prefer to flee if possible.

They make very interesting pets when young. Those that have been raised in captivity are much more docile than their wild counterparts. Large ones, as with many mature wild animals can be harder to maintain and handle. Adults can be potentially dangerous simply because they have the size and power to inflict harm. They are wild animals and as with any turtle or tortoise, they retain wild instincts. Simply because we put them in a tank or box does not make them domesticated. That is one aspect that some people tend to ignore or lose sight of when keeping any wild animal.

Not everyone is into "soft and cuddley". Some people keep Snapping turtles probably for the same reasons they keep snakes, big carnivorous lizards and some really freaky insects! Because they're unique, unusual, interesting and not such a common pet that everyone else has.
But when you think about it, those are many of the same reasons that people keep any "out of the ordinary" animal as a pet, including tortoises and other turtle species.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
They're not friendly, can be dangerous, and get fairly big. That is the appeal. If you interact with them they get less bitey, and are actually very cool.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have 2 common snappers that hatched out here in 2007, they live in the pond with all the other local turtles, the first 2 years they were in a tank and I spent time handling them as they grew, the 3rd year they were put in the pond,they still are not as nasty as a wild snapper, and when snappers are covered with water they are very docile and can be hand fed.This year they have spent more time out of the water than usual,and they are getting a little big for the pen they are in, so they will have their own area next year. Early in the spring I was looking for a turtle so I was reaching into the hides without looking first and grabbed one of the snappers,it didn't bite but now I look first. Also they have never shown any signs of aggression towards any of the other turtles with them in or out of the water.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
In my opinion, they're not much different than keeping most other aquatic turtle species...they just happen to get much larger!

I've never considered aquatic turtles to be really hands-on interaction pets anyway, so to me, its just a matter of how big it gets.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I actually have three snappers myself. An older adult female, a subadult, and a youngster of a couple of years.

We took the female in something like 15 years ago. My uncle-in-law would catch or be given snappers to then use as food. HE would keep them for a few weeks to clean them out of some of the "wild" taste, then butcher. This one was given to him and she was actually smaller then he liked. She was spared only because he had two others that were bigger and he ran out of time before he got to her. We had been invited over for supper and learned about her. My youngest son, asked if he could have her and so she came to live with us. We learned she was a female, when she laid some eggs in her pool. We kept a layer of mud, leaves, and silt at the bottom of her pool for her to hide in. Josh use to use his bare hands to go searching for her. In all the years, he never did get bitten and I have no idea how he got so lucky. :D

Up til that time, the only real experience I had with them was seeing them on the road. The kids and I learned that trying to help one across the road was not always easy nor pleasant. They can be very nasty tempered, moved faster then one would expect, and will lunge at you getting quite a ways off the ground.

Now for the good side, they can and do get gentle if worked with. Mine are not worked with, but know when I come to their pool to surface and "beg" for food. They will eat out of my hand, but I make very sure my fingers are far back and then hold my breath when they grab the food. :D I enjoy watching them eat the larger pieces of fish, ripping them apart with ease.

The main draw to me is their "prehistoric" appearance. It's like looking back in time. They have a unique beauty all their own and it's hard for many people to see it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My question back to you is, "Why not?"

Deac77

5 Year Member
StudentoftheReptile said:
In my opinion, they're not much different than keeping most other aquatic turtle species...they just happen to get much larger!

I've never considered aquatic turtles to be really hands-on interaction pets anyway, so to me, its just a matter of how big it gets.

I agree and as for the keeping of large Carnivorous lizards I have kept monitors and will do so again simply because they are the snuggle bugs of the reptile world ( certain species mind you) and the "WOW factor"

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
That is true, aquatics in general are really not a hands on pet.

I hand feed my Musk, however. But that is about it. Aquatics tend to have a lower tolerance for things than torts.

For example, I frequently rub my Red Foot's shell, pet his head, and handle him occasionally. That's just not something aquatics (Generally speaking) are into. Toby will come up to me and get in my lap, Speedy will not. It's just the way they are.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Thank you all for the interesting replies!

I agree that aquatics are generally not a hands on pet. It's ultimately why I prefer tortoises.

As to "why not?," I have an answer, but it's completely subjective so it doesn't hold much water for anyone but myself :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Found a baby Common Snapper about 25 years ago, and he became very docile very quickly...eventually I gave "Gamera" to a buddy of mine, who'd been trying to talk me out of him for years.

As of a week from Thursday, when I was last over, Gamera is still docile. Just takes interacting with them.

By the same token, my male African Rock Python, Taegus, is considered by many to be unique, because he's easy to work with, but that's because I've handled him since he was about 2' long, so he's not afraid of me. Sadly, his mate, Sheba, I got when she was around 9' and she's gone from consistently evil-tempered to mostly evil-tempered but handlable if you're VERY careful.

With gentle handling, nearly any creature can be tamed.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Terry Allan Hall said:
With gentle handling, nearly any creature can be tamed.
Including men

Status
Not open for further replies.