Why we need to recycle

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Or at least just take proper care of your trash. I once found a red eared slider like that. I kept him for a couple days but he was completely normal besides that so I let him go. (The band or whatever had done that to him was off when I found him)

thehowards

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central FL
Yea we should take proper care but recycling is a lot better. Plastic bags can fly from anywhere (including the dump) on a windy day and birds can cary plastics away for nest that get lost to harm another animal. That's just a couple scenarios I can think off but recyclables don't belong in a landfill just to help accumulate the huge piles we have going already.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Poor thing. I think I seen that one before. Chicago has outlawed most plastic shopping bags for most stores. More smaller cities and other bigger ones need to step it up. Specially the smaller cities and towns that think all the problems are from the big cities

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Recycling is good, however almost all plastic bags and water bottles aren't recyclable. Many end up in the ocean.

Watch plastic paradise on Netflix it's a documentary of how there is a plastic island the size of Texas floating out in the pacific.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Poor thing. I think I seen that one before. Chicago has outlawed most plastic shopping bags for most stores. More smaller cities and other bigger ones need to step it up. Specially the smaller cities and towns that think all the problems are from the big cities

Now see, I like the plastic bags. I reuse them for things like cleaning cat litter boxes. Wet things just do not work in the paper bags.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Now see, I like the plastic bags. I reuse them for things like cleaning cat litter boxes. Wet things just do not work in the paper bags.
Oh me too. Dog and tortoise poop. I have everyone saving them for me. I know not to good on my part. I'm not good on recycling but I am very good at making sure my garbage gets where it belongs. My family is one that will clean up after those who don't too. The stores that can't use the plastic is getting some that is still last if but a faster biodegradable. We'll see how that works. If people would just put trash in the right place it wouldn't be such a problem for animals. It's the pigs that drop it where they stand that is the ones ruining things

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think it's humorous how folks think recycling is something new. I was raised to reuse everything. We just thought we were cheap (or thrifty ). I learned from my Grandma. One of my favorite things from her was a coffee percolater made into a planter. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know why plastic bags have such a bad rap. They don't last more than a couple months in the sun. I use them as insulation stapled to the edges of my outdoor tortoise house lids, and I'm replacing them after a few months because they disintegrate.

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
I don't know why plastic bags have such a bad rap. They don't last more than a couple months in the sun. I use them as insulation stapled to the edges of my outdoor tortoise house lids, and I'm replacing them after a few months because they disintegrate.
Plastics don't really work like that when their is heap upon heap of it with that much it could take years maybe even decades to disintegrate

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Maybe you're using one of the better types, but plastic bags take between 20 to 1,000 years to biodegrade, depending on the plastic used and where they end up.
It's simple.
Don't use them.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I
Maybe you're using one of the better types, but plastic bags take between 20 to 1,000 years to biodegrade, depending on the plastic used and where they end up.
It's simple.
Don't use them.

so what do you suggest to use for wet trash that is cheap (i.e. free)??

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I

so what do you suggest to use for wet trash that is cheap (i.e. free)??
Well, cheap is rather different to free, so not an id est.
However, it really rather depends on what you're calling wet trash.
Obviously, if at all possible organics and any biodegradable objects can be usefully composted,tins should have their labels peeled off, be squashed and added to an aluminium pile, bottles in a glass pile etc. And so on.
I would need to know the exact composition of what you refer to as the wet trash you are currently throwing away in naughty plastic bags and then I would be happy to give you any advice i can, based also on your location, services available to you etc.
There is usually a way, if we want to put a bit of effort in.
PM me and I'll try my best to give you some ideas right for your circumstances, if I'm able.
We throw to much away in the West, as a rule.:(

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Cat litter and used dog papers and poop.

I do recycle and reuse most items. Compost too. I use empty feed sacks, but that is not enough.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My cat litter is not the right kind for that. I have to say for whatever reason using cat litter compost on my garden has a yuck factor. Not sure why because I have no problem with other anmanimal wastes being used.