Why won't he bask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForPhilbert

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Naples, FL
For the past 2 weeks my tort hasn't gone near the basking light. I've checked the temperatures and they're usually around 95 degrees on the basking side and around 70 degrees or so on the cool side. He comes out to eat but then goes straight back to his burrow. I even have a little enclosure on the porch in the sunlight which also has a hide and some water. He goes straight to the hide instead of the sunlight. Temperatures are still warm outside (I live in FL). Any ideas what's going on with my little guy?

ForPhilbert

5 Year Member
Naples, FL
Tracy Gould said:
It could just be nerves, they can take abit of time to come around. What kind of tort have u got? The Hot spot may be a bit to hot depending on the species. I am fairly new to torts though so i may be wrong

Thanks for your response! He is a Russian Tort about 3 or maybe 4 years old. I have the light on a dimmer and I keep it to almost the dimmest light possible because it is such a strong bulb, that's the only way to keep it at 95 degrees.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
ForPhilbert said:
Tracy Gould said:
It could just be nerves, they can take abit of time to come around. What kind of tort have u got? The Hot spot may be a bit to hot depending on the species. I am fairly new to torts though so i may be wrong

Thanks for your response! He is a Russian Tort about 3 or maybe 4 years old. I have the light on a dimmer and I keep it to almost the dimmest light possible because it is such a strong bulb, that's the only way to keep it at 95 degrees.

If the lights on dimmer that could be why he is not basking he may think it not day time i would try taking the dimmer off an controling the temp by highering the light if its getting to hot

M

Maggie Cummings

IT seems to me that he needs a brighter light to tell him he needs to bask. Why don't you try just using a 100 watt incandescent bulb and see what difference that makes to him? I think he needs a brighter light. I use a UBV bulb for about an hour a day then I use regular incandescent bulbs and all my torts bask. I don't think they need UVB bulbs for 12 hours a day. If you have a dim light you're telling him that it's a cold cloudy day and that means to stay inside and sleep. I know now that our rainy weather is here Bob is staying in his sleeping box longer and yesterday he didn't get up at all...so try making his house brighter and see what difference that makes...

Status
Not open for further replies.