Why would Posts/Threads be deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

JourneyTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Why are some posts/threads deleted? There was a recent thread asking why some people post/give information out when they are 'new' to torts etc. why was this deleted??

I think this was a good thread to leave on Tort forum to make newbies aware that just because people post and give advice on here doesn't mean they know what they are talking about (although their intentions are probably good) and to ensure that they seek out those people that have proven that they have experience (you can figure this out after reading the forum for a while).

Just curious.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I also thought the thread was an interesting one, and lobbied to have it re-instated, however, the OP asked for it to be deleted.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I also came on late last night to read the posts and it was gone. It surprised me because I couldn't find it anywhere. I thought it was an interesting thread, but had a feeling that it wouldn't have a good outcome due to the contents of the question that was asked in the thread. :( I didn't know we could ask to have them deleted, you learn something new everyday. :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The thread will be coming back, but yes Candy it did not have a good outcome as Kelly (stells) has left the forum. :(

Danny

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I agree it was a good thread, but the cost was too high. I also personally fear that bringing it back will only continue to cause problems. It's just one of those types of talks that bring out good thoughts, but causes a lot of hurt and hard feelings among members.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
egyptiandan said:
Kelly (stells) has left the forum. :(

Danny

That is horrible!! She will be missed as will her many, many great photos and contributions. What a shame! This place is not the place it was a year ago!! Way to go forum!!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I don't understand why she even left. It makes no sense to me--and her parting PM didn't really help clear things up.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
;)That is a shame that Kelly left; I hope she reconsiders. Just because people disagree with a certain viewpoint doesn't mean that they don't personally like or respect their opponent. ;)

Even though Stells' thread kind of made me feel guilty of giving out advice when I have very little tortoise experience, I assumed she was NOT singling me out, nor trying to hurt my feelings. I just figured she was bringing up a very good point: we should all be careful about giving advice if we are not sure our information is correct, and certainly never in a reckless or sloppy manner. I thought it was very well-meant and triggered some good arguments as to what designates an "expert" or an "experienced" keeper. Stells' thread made us think about whether even book authors or scientists really know all of the details of tortoise keeping, and reminded us that "facts" can even change or evolve as new research is done. :p

Come back, Kelly! Please? :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't understand why it was deleted either. What was the reason? She posted a question in the "Debatable" section and several people answered her question. Everything I saw was civil, thoughtful and well worded. I personally agreed with points of views from both sides.

Honestly, I feel a little guilty, as I was one of the responders to that post. If anything in my post was at all offensive or upsetting, here is my public apology. Maybe I came on too strong for such a newbie to the forum. I'm just extremely enthusiastic about finding this forum and other people who are in to tortoises as much as I am. I feel like a kid in a candy store... An all you can eat, free candy store. My only intention was to participate in an interesting discussion that I felt I was invited to. I hope Kelly reconsiders and decides to come back.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Roachman26 said:
I don't understand why it was deleted either. What was the reason? She posted a question in the "Debatable" section and several people answered her question. Everything I saw was civil, thoughtful and well worded. I personally agreed with points of views from both sides.

Honestly, I feel a little guilty, as I was one of the responders to that post. If anything in my post was at all offensive or upsetting, here is my public apology. Maybe I came on too strong for such a newbie to the forum. I'm just extremely enthusiastic about finding this forum and other people who are in to tortoises as much as I am. I feel like a kid in a candy store... An all you can eat, free candy store. My only intention was to participate in an interesting discussion that I felt I was invited to. I hope Kelly reconsiders and decides to come back.

Nope you were just fine! As I recall you did a great post saying many things I thought...see great post = saying something I agree with. :D Just trying to lighten the mood with the last bit of teasing. True I did agree with what I recall you saying, but I also do like it when folks disagree with me or my own thoughts, as they open my eyes to a whole new way of looking at things. Any how you did good and please continue to do so. Stop the guilt, okay? :)

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Meg90 said:
I don't understand why she even left. It makes no sense to me--and her parting PM didn't really help clear things up.

I did not get a parting PM, what did she say?

I'm confused, but that's nothing new!

M

Maggie Cummings

That is exactly why the thread was deleted. Too many hurt feelings and (IMO)too many active participating members feeling as tho they had to defend themselves just as Roachman26 and Stephanie just did. Most members were coming on and defending themselves and that just wasn't right. So I feel it's better off dead. However, there's no rule about anyone starting another thread like that one...so if ya feel froggy....

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
It sure seems to me that there are a few members (maybe three) that love the battle more than the debate. This is no fun for anyone. I sure wish we could find a way to let these "few" know they are disruptive, because we should give them the benifit of doubt and assume they do not know they are disruptive and hurt peoples feelings.

I don't think Mods should feel like there hurting peoples feelings by giving warnings. As Kelly leaving demonstrates, good poeple are lost by letting these "few" run wild.

Tim/Robin was right, Stells had great photos, insight, experience and advice.

Am I off base here? What do you think?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree, but those so-called "three" also have the same rights as we all do. They're entitled to their opinions too.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I am sorry to hear that Kelly left the forum, she was a great member :(. I hope she will come back.
It is true that the forum is not what it used to be, we used to be like a big family and it was almost always friendly. Even if people had different opinions in the debatable section, there were no fights.
Now, it is different but not in a good way :( Do not get me wrong, I still love the forum but I think that some people get mad to easily. Remember people, we are here because we share the same passion: tortoises :).

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
emysemys said:
I agree, but those so-called "three" also have the same rights as we all do. They're entitled to their opinions too.
They sure do, but they are ruining the forum for us all!! And that is the sad part.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
What she said was not very nice. I do not really want to post it, but I will if I get more requests I'm not one for secrets. And I want to see that thread. Even if it comes back locked. I want to see the posts there that were deemed so offensive.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Meg: If you received a PRIVATE message (PM) from Kelly, then you should respect that it was private and meant for only you to read. It isn't anyone else's business to read it. If Kelly wanted the forum to know what she was sending you in a PM, she would have posted it on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.