why????????????zz

Status
Not open for further replies.

tickle

5 Year Member
:(this makes me crazy. we have all these care sheets and they are everywhere and all pretty much the same. if it says do not feed certain items why do these people still do this? if someone told me that food will give my kid diarRHea I wouldn't give it to him not even for a treat . they just want to see them eat I guess. it just make no Sence to me. you can find food proper foods for all tortoises and turtles in a park or woods no excuses. why?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Your post is a little confusing...is there something specific you saw on a caresheet that is concerning you?

I'm not trying to be mean, just wanting to help but I'm not sure what your asking or what you're trying to say.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
I think that what he is trying to say is, why do people feed their Stars food that they are not on their culture sheet; fruits, etc. Foods that that species would not find in their natural environment.

tickle

5 Year Member
Not just stars, all torts. no offence taken just starting a topic. its very slow here. I mean people know what to feed properly but they just don't for what reason..40% of the post are people with torts hooked on wrong foods or of problems caused by feeding wrong Foods when they know its not right. just wanted to start a topic no more then that.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
People have varied beliefs regarding what they are "supposed to" feed. Feeding them other things that are safe and provide nutritional value to match the requirements of the animals is not a bad thing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A lot of people buy tortoises and don't do the research into how to care for them until the tortoise starts to show signs of illness.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
that can go for any species.. including us...
we could probably ALL eat better and not overdue on things that arent good for us..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I really don't see too many on here feeding the wrong thing, unless its a newbie, and they are asking if something is good or not. Not everyone can get weeds, grasses all the time. Some may have been told by a pet store or even a breeder, not knowing it might not be so good. That's what great about this forum. We can all learn and share. Same as I am going to share this with you. Before grabbing weeds, etc, from a park,or woods, you better find out from whoever maintains that park that they don't use any pesticides. Even then you are taking a risk. We had a member last year ask their condo lawn keepers if they used pesticides, etc. They told them no. Then the forum member actually seen them using the stuff.

tickle

5 Year Member
I was bored today and went back far into the old post u wont believe how much there is

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you remember some of the foods that are/were being fed? Were they asking if it would be safe to feed? Or were they just feeding it, knowing it was bad? Just curious. I can't believe someone would come on here to get help and educated, just to do wrong anyway.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
A lot of pet stores give bad advice. That makes me really mad :(

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
I agree with wellington, I think a lot of people don't know better. Once we tell them so they usually take the advice as far as I can tell. I wouldn't go bashing people just because they are uneducated... This forum is a place where people can come to get help, not so that they can get attacked. Try and be more open minded about the ignorance of other and try instead to offer constructive feed back! :)

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I had a pet store near me that sold a fly river turtle and said it only needed iceberg lettuce. Thankfully, those guys closed down. Makes me so angry to see people own such rare animals and not know jack about them.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
tickle said:
you can find food proper foods for all tortoises and turtles in a park or woods no excuses.

Right now the parks near me are a great source of snow, dead leaves, and deer poop. I haven't seen any of those recommended as tortoise food.

tickle

5 Year Member
Edna said:
tickle said:
you can find food proper foods for all tortoises and turtles in a park or woods no excuses.

Right now the parks near me are a great source of snow, dead leaves, and deer poop. I haven't seen any of those recommended as tortoise food.

Who's fault is that for not preparing.u canny get small plants and replant them in you're house for the winter.they sell grass seed at every hardware store take less then two weeks to sprout.so you're saying cause there is snow on the ground its ok to feed a grassland tort fruit.maybe u shouldn't have a tortouse that doesn't hybrinate were you live.poor planning that's all.if I new it was going to snow and be around for awhile I would prepare by going out and finding small plants of dandylion and clover.then replanting them.I would then get grass seed and start a crop growing.if you cannot do this you shouldn't have a grassland tort.no excuses!

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
tickle said:
Edna said:
tickle said:

Who's fault is that for not preparing.u canny get small plants and replant them in you're house for the winter.they sell grass seed at every hardware store take less then two weeks to sprout.so you're saying cause there is snow on the ground its ok to feed a grassland tort fruit.maybe u shouldn't have a tortouse that doesn't hybrinate were you live.poor planning that's all.if I new it was going to snow and be around for awhile I would prepare by going out and finding small plants of dandylion and clover.then replanting them.I would then get grass seed and start a crop growing.if you cannot do this you shouldn't have a grassland tort.no excuses!

You have a very good point! Also some frozen foods are ok for the tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.