Wild alligator snapping turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
Just returned from one of my trips to north Florida to search for my favorite of all turtles the alligator snapper, Macrochelys temminckii. These awesome animals have interested me since I was little and for the past three decades I've made regular trips to look for them in the wild.
So this past Tuesday I was once again on 'my' river.
Here are typical scenes...

IMG_0418_zps0df6a3a1.jpg

IMG_0417_zps56a8140e.jpg

The river was murky after some recent heavy rains but a nearby creek still looked pristine...

IMG_0507_zps01feae3d.jpg

After canoeing for only about 30 minutes I found this little guy while he was actually gaping and luring with his tongue which is something alligator snappers are famous for...

IMG_0422_zpsca0e75be.jpg

As you can see by his still attached yolksac membrane he is a new hatchling. Probably had been in the river for only a few days...

IMG_0421_zps65d4f6f8.jpg

A little later on I found this...

IMG_0425_zps2bdbf90f.jpg

The gray streaks are water beetles that were cruising around so fast they appear as blurs. But look a little closer...

IMG_0431_zps49a623cc.jpg

And then closer...

IMG_0432_zps69c7f24d.jpg

How cool! I hadn't been on the river for even and hour and already two neonate Macrochelys!

This one had recently hatched too..

IMG_0521_zpsad558644.jpg

It began to rain again so I decided to call it a day but not before netting this sassy girl. An adult female loggerhead musk turtle, Sternotherus minor...

IMG_0440_zps45871017.jpg

Loggerheads are another real favorite of mine.

The next day was clear and cool but the temperatures would rise into the 80's by midday. A one point on the river I came to a large treefall with many branches and debris. The limbs that protruded from the water were covered in basking Mobile cooters, Pseudemys concinna and yellow bellied turtles, Trachemys scripta. I wanted a photo but they all bolted into the water as I approached. So I beached my canoe, put on my diving mask and went into the river after one. Usually such turtles simply swim to the bottom and hide among the sunken branches and stuff. But as I searched the murky river bottom I couldn't find a single one of them. But then I found something else. Partially buried in the sand at the bottom and wedged in some sunken tree limbs was the unmistakeable chestnut brown carapace of an alligator snapper. After surfacing for air I went back down and made a grab for it. The snapper exploded into action and began clawing its way further back under the submerged tree. I could hear loud CLONK CLONK noises under water as the turtle snapped wildly. Finally I was able to pull the thing out and surface with her. Not a giant Macrochelys by any means but my largest so far...

IMG_0483_zpsaede02ff.jpg

What a turtle!

IMG_0480_zps8b608946.jpg

She had beautiful color too for an alligator snapper which are often just mud brown...

IMG_0491_zps4fa873e9.jpg

IMG_0494_zps20f50f5a.jpg

I spent just a couple of minutes photographing her and then released her back into the water. Man, what a day already!
But it wasn't over. A couple of hours later I found this...

IMG_0518_zps7e430952.jpg

Yep, another neonate!

IMG_0517_zpsca6f7b87.jpg

What a great trip. Three neonate and one adult female alligator snapping turtles. Probably my best Macrochelys hunt ever...

IMG_0525_zpsec722b87.jpg

Can't wait to go back!

IMG_0531_zps69b5d4bb.jpg

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Looks like it was a great trip Carl .... thankx for posting/ sharing .... what a beautiful place....was wondering where you've been !:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
***yelled in a high pitched voice****LOO-LOO-LOO-LOO-LOO-LOO!!! LIVE ACTION!!!

(cable TV on the Animal Planet, for those of you who don't get the inside joke)

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
Whaou !!! thanks for this beautiful pics.
That makes me think to "call of the wildman" :p

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
emysemys said:
***yelled in a high pitched voice****LOO-LOO-LOO-LOO-LOO-LOO!!! LIVE ACTION!!!

(cable TV on the Animal Planet, for those of you who don't get the inside joke)

Oh please---PLEASE do not compare me to that idiot!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Absolutely amazing!
Remind me never to go swimming there!:)
Thanks for sharing these

acrantophis

5 Year Member
Great pics! I love getting out to see some wild reptiles! Thanks for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.