Wild Cactus Fruit off bike trail?

Brit G

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Want to do everything right for my two little tortoises.

Here is the "wild" cactus fruit:
Screenshot_2018-08-26-09-38-01.png Screenshot_2018-08-26-09-38-09.png

And the plant it came from:
Screenshot_2018-08-26-09-37-58.png Screenshot_2018-08-26-09-37-55.png

I know it's ultimately a risk, but would love to know you guys' thoughts. Free wild cactus sounds pretty awesome! If nobody has had bad experiences. Scraped off the irritating little orange spikes. Could always go further off trail but have seen snakes so reluctant to do so.

Anyone think the pads AND the fruit may be okay, too? They may be a hybrid cactus - unsure what species. Lots of legit spikes to remove.

Right now my tortoises are just eating soaked Timothy hay, "cat grass" clippings, and soaked Mizuri diet. Growing a tortoise grass seed mixture that I allow them to chomp on for a few minutes eveevery other day but want it to grow more. Just sprouts now.

Thanks if anyone has any insight.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No one can say it isn't a risk, but I would risk it. That area does not look like a place where anyone would be spraying chemicals.

One thing I do is look for evidence of healthy bug life. Holes in leaves, recent spider webs, ants on the ground or going up the cactus. If you see those things, or actual bugs, you can rest pretty easy.

Another thing I do in these situations is rinse-soak-rinse any food item like this. Most of the sprayed on chemicals will rinse off and dissipate pretty easily. My biggest concern would be if the city or county was spraying wild areas for mosquitos, or something like that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Believe it or not, that's actually called a tuna, and it's not ripe yet. When ripe there will be no green at all. Totally delicious once you scrape the little glochids off.

The plant is an edible opuntia.

Brit G

Texas
No one can say it isn't a risk, but I would risk it. That area does not look like a place where anyone would be spraying chemicals.

One thing I do is look for evidence of healthy bug life. Holes in leaves, recent spider webs, ants on the ground or going up the cactus. If you see those things, or actual bugs, you can rest pretty easy.

Another thing I do in these situations is rinse-soak-rinse any food item like this. Most of the sprayed on chemicals will rinse off and dissipate pretty easily. My biggest concern would be if the city or county was spraying wild areas for mosquitos, or something like that.
Ah, there were tons of bugs all over the area. Sounds safe. If they are spraying for mosquitoes they are doing a terrible job lol.

Reactions: Tom

casey.sherrod25

Vicksburg
Believe it or not, that's actually called a tuna, and it's not ripe yet. When ripe there will be no green at all. Totally delicious once you scrape the little glochids off.

Yvonne I see your posts quite a bit and am so thankful that you and others out there like you on this site share your knowledge with us newbies. I know I'd be so lost if it weren't for yall.

Brit G

Texas
Thank you! Grateful for the information; it further clarifies the food I'll be feeding them.