Wild caught?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rees2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz California
Well I was wondering if your tortoise was wild caught(bad usely)or Captive breed(good usely).My Hermans tortoise(Humpfree)was most likely a captive breed as it was raised from an egg by the person we got it from.

B

Bansh88

Some breeds are available mainly as wild caught. I know Russians are almost exclusively wildcaught.
Id imagine a lot of Desert Tortoises, especially full grown ones were wild caught.
My 2 Sulcatas and 1 Desert are the only ones I have that I know were captiove bred.

B

Bansh88

They must be tough to breed though. I've only seen Russian Babies twice.

Rees2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Santa Cruz California
Well with Hermans tortoise it seems that they are more often CB because we can't find a female other than A baby for Humpfree.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I see ads all the time on kingsnake for russian hatchlings. The only ones I know for sure are CB is the RES since they are hatchlings. I would say my russians were CB since they are so friendly but for the boxies I am not sure since they were all rescues. You are right WC is not good except for certain situations, otherwise CB is they way to go.

Rees2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Santa Cruz California
jenrell23 said:
You are right WC is not good except for certain situations, otherwise CB is they way to go.
yes but mostly it's CB thats the way to go.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
correct Rees2 It is the only way to go except in certain situations like injurys etc. Also if anyone wants to see what WC turtles go through to get to the US pm and I will give you the link. But warning it is graphic. :(

Rees2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Santa Cruz California
I read in A book that when that show Teenage Mutant Nega turtles tv show came out they shipped A HUGE amount of turtles over to Cal A bunch died from being pillked on top of each other not being able to move be pood on and not being feed.This is why CB is better most of the time.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
agreed, thousands of turtles and tortoises die from being smuggled in. I would say they only way to go is CB.

G

greekgolden

My Golden is wild caught, and very friendly but also very cautious. She will pull her head in but will bring it out once she notices it's me and I rub her head she loves that. My Vet said she is a very easy to handle, and will pull her head out much sooner that most. I keep her well covered in the yard because of hawks in the area.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I was told by the Reptile store that I got mine from they weren't sure. Vet said he thought WB. I tend to agree they are not really friendly. But I don't know what there life was like before me. They are getting better and actually looking when I talk with them now.
But I agree CB is the way to go. Leave the WB in the Wild. They are dwindaling fast and we should support CB programs.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Hermanns and russians if brought from a petstore, you'll find their papers (russians rarely come with papers) are fake, and are'nt even article 10.
And That the tortoise is wild caught.

my first tortoise toby was a tortoise given from a friend..was raised from an egg...he ran away one day never found since years ago!
My box turtle given from family friends was wild caught...and imported from USA from someone. Which sucked at the time.
Then we had Jerry my hermanns (thb) tortoise, who was wild caught...and sadly passed away.
Then we had peewee who died of lungworms so i got told (THB too) who was wild caught too.
Then myother tortoise looi (still got THB) is wild caught.
Then my last tortoise Daisy was a rehomer from a friend who brought from a breeder, when she was only about 2 months old. Now she is 4 years old and i took her own early this year.

Rees2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Santa Cruz California
Wait so Cpx you had A hatchling run away and years later you fond him.But we can not find any Hermans tortoise that are in petstores the only ones we can find are hatchlings not realy sure about were you live but it's hard to find WC Hermans tortoise were i live.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
No, we got given a tortoise named toby form our neighbours who raised him for nearly 30 years from an egg.
we took him for years and years and then he ran away or went missing.

You'll often find (if in the UK) no wild tortoises what soever.
In the USA, various states have various wild tortoises.

But most wild hermanns and russians are imported from slovenia, russia to UK and some states in the USA.

Rees2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Santa Cruz California
Well it souned like it when you said since years ago.R.I.P Jerry.R.I.P Peewee.Sorry for your loses.Maybe if you posted some pics so we could see how bet beautiful they were.I just feel realy sorry for the person that lost there tortoise buddy.

K

Kyrazy

Our Desert Tortoise - Shelly - was CB. My husband got her when he was 12 yrs old and she was about 2-3 inches long from a neighbor who had several hatchlings from their DT. Shelly is over 30 now and healthy and happy!

Agree - CB is much better for everyone than wild caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.